LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Formula Interior Swap

Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Formula Interior Swap

So I have come to the conclusion that I want to swap my tan interior for a grey/black interior.
I know that the interiors between another f-body between the years of 93 and 02 are compatible. But here's my question; What if I can't find another formula/firebird/trans am, that has my grey/black interior?
I know that some makes of the camaro will work, Im just not sure what model/make will suffice.

Is there anyone here that knows?
Ive done some searching, and maybe I have overlooked the threads and discussions about it. So I figured I'd make my own separate thread dedicated to the questions and concerns about it and also when the swap happens, ill make sure to post pictures every step of the way, just in case someone else finds this useful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm pretty sure the interior changed for the Camaro in 97 iirc (maybe 96), to one very similar if not the same as the 93-02 firebird. I'm pretty sure 97-02 Camaro and 93-02 Firebird are all the same.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The carpets and plastics (minus the dash and door panels) are the same from 93-98 or 99. The door panels are onviously different as are the seats from a camaro to firebird. I did the same swap i had light grey cloth interior and swapped it for complete dark grey leather interior from a 95 t/a parts car i had. In 98 or 99 instead of dark grey or graphite they switched to ebony or black which will not match up with your dash. You need to find a dark grey or graphite interior from a firebird or t/a that will match your dash and console.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Launching!

if you need help or parts pm me
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Nice,
Thanks guys. My dash is already grey, as are the door handles and window controls, my console is as well (though the console door is broken). My carpet, the headliner, seats, belts, door panels, plastic trim, and the hatch carpet are all tan. These are what Im looking to replace.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the items you are looking to replace will fit your car from any year. don't use camaro door panels on your firebird, they will not bolt up directly. the firebird door panels mounts are a little different and i had to drill some holes on my camaro to make them work. still doable. try ebay for the parts. it will take a while, but you'll find them. be prepared to pay out your $$$ for shipping all that plastic
Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I seem to have been mistaken, lol. Thanks for the knowledge, I didn't think there were that many changes on the Pontiacs.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by merim123
the items you are looking to replace will fit your car from any year. don't use camaro door panels on your firebird, they will not bolt up directly. the firebird door panels mounts are a little different and i had to drill some holes on my camaro to make them work. still doable. try ebay for the parts. it will take a while, but you'll find them. be prepared to pay out your $$$ for shipping all that plastic
Awesome,
That makes things a little easier, BUT Ebay wont be my only choice for a parts supply. I have the community here, ebay, amazon, car dealers, scrap/junkyards, aaaand craigslist! Just to name a few! Thank you for the advice though! The more options the better!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Letum
Awesome,
That makes things a little easier, BUT Ebay wont be my only choice for a parts supply. I have the community here, ebay, amazon, car dealers, scrap/junkyards, aaaand craigslist! Just to name a few! Thank you for the advice though! The more options the better!
agree you have the full community. btw - look into covering that stuff or painting it? the best option is to get a replacement piece, but you can recover/paint, but will not be as permanent as a replacement piece.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

LOL...

I was looking at my gray cloth interior in the red car and thinking how much I'd like to replace it with tan leather like the green car. I'll be following this thread with interest.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate light grey interior with a passion. I was cheap and painted all mine and it came out looking really close to ebony. I said if it started to flake and look nasty then ill just buy new panels but that was about a year ago and it still looks good and i got dark charcoal grey carpet for free from a friend.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ what type of paint did you use for the interior? I'm in the process of changing mine to black, using krylon fusion paint, flat black. Looks really good so far, hoping it will last.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 93 in my sig came with a tan interior and I always hated it, I have done the swap and have learned a lot of lessons the hard way. I converted it to graphite, now ebony/graphite two tone. Currently looking for an ebony dash right now. Here are some key points you need to keep in mind that I wish some one told me. My advice to you is find some one parting out a car and buy the interior as a whole set, other wise good luck because it gets expensive fast. You don't realize how much of the interior is color co-ordinated till you try and swap to another color.

In order to Darkest to Lightest

00-02 Ebony, 93-97 "LT1" Graphite, 98-99 Dark Pewter.

Your not going to notice a difference until they are next to another, it's pretty big difference when they are next to one another. If you put ebony parts in, its not going to match when it gets to your dash since your dash is lighter color, 00-02 had ebony dashes. On a Firebird only, the dash parts are all inter changeable.

F-car inter changeable parts between Camaro and Firebirds

Sail Panels, Kick panels, Window Pillars, Rear hatch light, Hatch trim Panels, Coat hangers for the sail panels, Hatch fold down panel, sun visors, seat belts, carpet and the floor mats

Specific

Door panels on all years are either Camaro or Firebird specific. Earlier cars the rear hatch trim panels will be different since some of the BOSE cars only had a single speaker in the rear

Seat belts

You can buy a complete set off ebay but you will need to replace them.

Steering wheel?

If you want an ebony steering wheel you will need a clock spring from a later car because the air bag connectors are very different. Stick to a later year car 95-99 if you want a newer style wheel.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BizZzatch350 is correct in the three different dark gray/black colors for our car. The only correction I have is it was 93-96, 97-99, and 00-02 for the changes. Huge difference once you see all three side to side.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
^^^ what type of paint did you use for the interior? I'm in the process of changing mine to black, using krylon fusion paint, flat black. Looks really good so far, hoping it will last.
You ask and you shall receive.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Wow,
Alright, Some of this gives me ideas. Especially the paint. Ive never known that duplicolor made paint for interior specific to cars.

And Gojira, if the interior matches up, A trade could be possible? I dont have tan leather seats (I have the tan cloth seats), but I do have the rest in tan.
Or if anyone is interested in doing a trade like this, for that matter.

Anyway, I guess Ill have to keep my eyes open on who Im getting what from and what years that the cars are that I'm buying from. The color difference wouldn't bother me to an extreme point, but If I am buying it I would like it to match.

Also a quick question for all of you, anyone have an A pillar vent up for sale or grabs? You know the ones that look like this: http://compare.ebay.com/like/3603338...=263602_325002

Ill be posting pictures of my interior here soon, most likely tomorrow morning, so everyone can see what will be happening. And when i start getting the interior pieces in and installed, ill make a step by step for future fbody owners.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The painting is really easy. Just buy about 3 cans, and spray light coats, and then what i did to get rid of the grainy texture is used Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant on everything. The door panels were the hardest because i took everything a part cutting off the plastic tabs and wrapped the insert in vinyl and painted the rest and melted all the plastic tabs back. Its really easy just time consuming. but it will chip in heavy traffic areas i never have anyone ride in the back so im not worried about that but i plan on changing out the kick panels and door panels to ebony.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 PM

Nice, I may indeed look into that, for some darker pieces that I want to do I believe. Do they have a variety of colors? And about how much is it?

And the Meguiar's sounds like a pretty good idea, That and maybe a sealant? I have some clear coat, you can get it in gloss and matte. But I know (from hobby lobby, Ill have to check on the name again.) it does good on wear and tear.

Also,
What do you think about a light sanding? Is it necessary what with all the grooves already on the pieces? Or would it completely ruin the plastic? Just a thought to make sure it didn't chip.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Duplicolor also makes a prep spray to get all grease etc off plastic panels, used that and seemed to work very well.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Nice Gregg,
Ill have to look into that before I do anything.
Alright everyone here's what I'm sure some of you have been waiting for.
My Interior:

-Hole in my door panel, There is a hole on the outside of my door as well, So Im not putting in a speaker there until the hole in the door's fiberglass is fixed.

-Anyone have bird wheels interested in trading for these? (Black or silver, or a mix of the two)

So, Thus you have my interior. You can see the parts I need and what I don't need. I'm still looking for replacement A pillar trim, it looked as though at one time there was a pillar pod attached to it, thus the missing vent, and the tiny drill holes (Im not sure if you can see the drill spots in the picture.) But its an eye sore. Hoping to get started on this this coming week, once I get paid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Formula Interior Swap