LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

picked up a new cap and rotor, question on the rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default picked up a new cap and rotor, question on the rotor

is the rotor contact end, supposed to have some kind of protective coating on it? the end im talking about is where the rotor meets the 8 brass terminals..

it seems the rotor end has this black, kind of like paint or powder coat, coating on it..

to me, this would seem wrong because you would want both metals exposed to achieve the arch current...

should i scrape this off or leave it on?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to know that too

I swapped my cap/rotor for a Chandler unit and the one I took off was black, kinda chalky coating. The CMS one was gold, nice and shiney...
Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Oxidation will quickly form a crust on it if you scrape it, vented opti or not. That stuff protects it for a while at least. High energy discharge from the coil can easily overcome any resistance offered by the coating- 48,000V or more across a very short electrical distance...
Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont scrap it off, that is the coating
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got it.. thanks..

i just put everything together.. used lock tite on the rotor screws.. used black silicone on both the cap and the under housing. sealed up tight
Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
is the rotor contact end, supposed to have some kind of protective coating on it? the end im talking about is where the rotor meets the 8 brass terminals..

it seems the rotor end has this black, kind of like paint or powder coat, coating on it..

to me, this would seem wrong because you would want both metals exposed to achieve the arch current...

should i scrape this off or leave it on?
Originally Posted by VinR1
I'd like to know that too

I swapped my cap/rotor for a Chandler unit and the one I took off was black, kinda chalky coating. The CMS one was gold, nice and shiney...
We've gotten cap and rotors like that before because a bigger client than us has demanded it at the factory. So honestly it doesn't make a difference. We prefer that they don't coat the end because customers seem to associate a positive benefit with it, but it honestly doesn't make a difference.