LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant Leak, Backfiring and Hard to turn steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak, Backfiring and Hard to turn steering wheel

Hi my name is nick and I'm new to the boards. My car is just shitting itself lol. My transmission went now I'm doing a T56 swap. But I was driving and notices my car back fires alot , running rich?but here's the weirdest thing when I make sharp turns my wheel starts to lock up, almost like the power steering went out. I stopped the car and noticed it's leaking coolant from directly in the middle underneath the engine. Also the low coolant light is on yet the car doesn't overheat? I changed my serpentine belt a week ago. I don't know what is causing this. The water pump and opti spark was both replaced in 2006. So I don't think they should be going bad? LT's you gotta love em
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If coolant is dripping on the belt, it's probably going to slip. First order of business would be to take care of the leak. You don't think a pump can go bad after 5 years?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
If coolant is dripping on the belt, it's probably going to slip. First order of business would be to take care of the leak. You don't think a pump can go bad after 5 years?
I thought about that just after i wrote up the post lol usually when i make a hard turn its pretty tough to turn. so coolant could be spraying on the belt from the fan? I thought that waterpumps could go up to 50-80k. But i wouldnt be the first time i was wrong about something

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak, Backfiring and Hard to turn steering wheel