LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headlight motor question on a 93 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight motor question on a 93 Trans Am

So my wife calls me and tells me that her headlight is not going up on the drivers side. So I come home and it is making this weird noise. I pop the hood and turn the headlights on and it goes up, when she shut them off the drivers side is making this weird noise every time. So I hit the remote to lock the doors and both headlights pop up and go down. It has a remote start that the previous owners put on. Now I hit the remote start and both headlights pop up( it never did that before). So my question is, what the hell is going on, is the motor taking a ****. And why would the headlights pop up when you start it now. Also where is a good place to get a motor if it is going bad.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

the headlight gear is stripped.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wysemunky
the headlight gear is stripped.
So I have to replace the motor then, correct. The headlight still goes up and down.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

No all you have to replace is the gear inside the motor. Read the sticky at the top of the firebird section and itll have all the info you need.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You do not need to replace the motor or gear. Manually raise the headlight using the manual raise ****, then remove the trim bezel (4 screws). You'll see the actuator arm - remove the nut holding it on, support the headlight, and pop off the arm. You'll see the motor shaft has a flat spot on it. Turn the manual raise **** so the flat spot spins 180-degrees, then reattach the actuator arm, reinstall the bezel, manually lower the headlight, and enjoy noise-free headlight operation.

The reason this works is because the headlight uses only one side of the gear and the other side remains unused, so rotating it 180-degrees uses the unused side.