LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

D@mn !t

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D@mn !t

About 15min ago I was pulling out of the parking garage at my work. I was pulling up a steep incline (maybe 5mph) while opening the garage door and felt a small "pop". Then my car proceeded to roll backward as i was on the gas almost as if i was in neutral. SOOO i put the car in D from OD and same thing, then i finally was able to nurse it in second and reverse to an empty spot. Im thinking blown tranny? So aside from being f'd in the beard i dont know what to do. Still in shell shock im thinking about switching the A4 to m6, any ideas on what im up against? Should I get another built a4? Anything else i could have blown to create this effect?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off what are your mods? how many miles were on the tranny and was it abused? If the tranny did blow then time to build it and make it better. shift kit and a big stall on auto cars ive heard is pretty fun!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Launching!

I dont know much about autos but it sounds like a cable broke if you heard a pop? I've toasted my fair share of auto trans (had a few 5.0 mustangs with the dreaded EAOD) and in my experiences its more gradual slipping over time and finally just free spinning.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Teching In

the trans had about 20k on it with a 3800 stall. I have a built 383. If a cable broke could it still work in 2nd but nothing else?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 4L60E is a great street/strip tranny in the right hands. problem is relatively few folks can actually build one well, and those who can't are happy to take your money and put it towards advertising so they can sell a lot more bad ones.

The tranny in my Caprice is over 7 years old and built with over 100hp less in mind than what I have been pumping through it for the last 5 years. I had ProBuilt Automatics do it, would also feel comfortable with FLT and Rossler and there are a number of shops who's trannies I would not use for FREE because there are a lot of very bad ones out there.

Quick Reply: D@mn !t