LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Camshaft

Hey guys my Bird is still giving me trouble but now its with oil pressure. Anyways I have not got a Mechanical gauge on it but its doing the same thing as before. Here is the quick run down. Had to rebuild the engine. Its a hotcam car with a stock oil pump,new drive gear with a metal piece not the plastic bottom and a stock drive gear. On the rebuild engine I had to replace mine with a new one as my old once cracked at the bolt hole. 140 miles later the engine was toast. Anyways when I was driving the oil pressure dropped a little at a constant speed. 1 mile before I could get off the highway it blew up. So I got a 94 engine and swapped everything over. Used the stock oil pump and drive gear and it already had a metal drive gear. Anyways now about 20 miles later the oil pressure is dropping again and going back up. Idle was very low on the stock gauge. Almost enough to be on the red line which is 10psi. That was warm idle at ~800rpm. My stock gauge is pretty accurate but I still need to check it. Anyways could the gear that drive the oil pump on the cam be messed up from GM. I mean a 87k short block with a cam should not be reading this low oil. Been chasing a fuel or spark issue. So could this be a bad cam?

Quick Reply: Bad Camshaft