LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

engine block warmer/heater?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine block warmer/heater?

Hey i was looking into buying a block warmer for my car but cant seem to find anything (not sure if its technically called that).

having a issue with cold starts now and trying to see my options.

anyone know of any or had any experience with them?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Block heaters are for winter use in extremely cold climates. They are not meant for a cold start problem. I would concentrate on finding out what your cold start issue really is.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Teching In

For places like up here in Canaduh. Luckily i dont drive my car in the winter
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

well today was the first time i have had issues and it was only 45deg, in the winter time it will get about 20deg sometimes colder. I wanted to already have it hocked up. Seems the older this car gets the harder it gets to keeping it running. Hoping to get a full rebuild done within 20000 mil but until then have to keep it running.

Im at work now but i do plan on changing out a O2 sensor and checking/reconnecting the starter.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of cold start problem are you having? Long cranking time before fire-up? Random fire-ups while cranking? Rough idle under cold start?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
What type of cold start problem are you having? Long cranking time before fire-up? Random fire-ups while cranking? Rough idle under cold start?
um yes sortof. For a while now had hard startups, it turns over but takes some time before it starts the starter kinda sputters? use to start right up but it cranks about 3-4 seconds then starts. This morning just cranked but never started. car was fun last night but about 10 hours later it didnt. the temp dropped about 30 deg overnight so i figured that would be the issue. I had the starter tested when this first started and it passed so dont know what it is. checked all fuses and whatknot. Im going to start it up when i get off this evening when it heats up a bit and pray it starts.

I just dont want this to start happening because of the cold and be stranded somewhere parked so i figured block heater would work.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I never had a problem with my LT1s starting be they 50k mile or over 200k mile and every winter I have owned them at least one of them has been asked to start in teens below zero. Have seen -20f even without any issue but the PS pump growling for a moment and the shocks stiff as hell.

You have a mechanical or electrical issue that needs attention.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I never had a problem with my LT1s starting be they 50k mile or over 200k mile and every winter I have owned them at least one of them has been asked to start in teens below zero. Have seen -20f even without any issue but the PS pump growling for a moment and the shocks stiff as hell.

You have a mechanical or electrical issue that needs attention.
I 100% agree. I DDd my past Lt1s all winter b4 and never had a cold start prob.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

i dont know i got home after work and it was about 60deg and it started right up no issue without me changing anything. Its suppose to be colder tomorrow morning more than today so we will see.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done a plug change in a while/ever?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Is it cranking slower when it's cold out?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Teching In

wouldnt start this morning either.

it seems to crank the same (eventually slows as the battery drains after about 3 attempts to start)

new plugs done about a year ago or so, less than 2000 miles.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Almost sounds to me like a fuel issue. Maybe the check valve in the fuel pump is no good and you have to cycle the key a few times to prime the system before actually attempting to start it. This is what my issue. If I just jump in an try to start it will turnover for a good 5-6 sec before acutally firing up. Or maybe you fuel pump is diying altogether and/or fuel filter is clogged.

Check your fuel pressure at cold start with the vacuum line disconnected.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Teching In

have a brand new fuel filter i installed maybe a month ago. and i smell gas exhaust when trying to turn it over.

also yesterday when the temperature has risen it started up no issue and i drove it around.

i dont know im going to go buy a oil restore treatment and add some antifreeze and hope something changes. never had a issue this past winter.

not really worried about the hard starts but more why it wont start when its cold outside.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Adding oil treatment or anti-freeze is not going to do anything. Spark and fuel is what it needs. Do some diagnosis to find out what it is not getting. Could be the coil going bad. It's harder to start a cold engine with a weak spark.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Teching In

well i know its not the the fuel it gets there fine. coil looks stock not sure if it has ever been replaced. ill check connections when i get home.

might just get cheap one from autozone and see if it makes any difference. i dont know why i never even thought of the coil.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chasehammer
well i know its not the the fuel it gets there fine. coil looks stock not sure if it has ever been replaced. ill check connections when i get home.

might just get cheap one from autozone and see if it makes any difference. i dont know why i never even thought of the coil.
You don't know anything about the pressure if you have not checked it with a test gauge. Test for good spark before buying anything. Seems you don't want to do any diagnosis/testing and just throw something at it in hopes of fixing it. That is not how you effectively work on cars.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

actually i do know about the pressure. i checked it not a week ago because im having one of my o2 sensors showing too lean. hints the reason for the fuel filter. after buying this car 6 years ago it has been the single most PITA thing i have ever seen. Just because i am quick to exchange parts doesnt mean i dont know what im doing, if you spent as much hours on this car as i have you tend to not want to waste time just to find out the part was bad. if it isnt the part then its something else. I have had 30 yr experienced mechanics work on this car only to be shown they know nothing.

i know you are helping me and i appreciate it (used your website on many occasion) but the way it comes off as if you think i know nothing.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what was the fuel pressure?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2

And have you pulled the trouble codes? I would do a compression test.

Quick Reply: engine block warmer/heater?