LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Borla observation on my LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Borla observation on my LT1

The original owner of the Borla adjustable system I installed on my car had replaced the muffler with a straight piece of pipe... essentially converting it to a LoudMouth. The car sounded absolutely awesome and I got constant 'thumbs up' and people pulling up next to me asking what all I had done to the car

however, me wanting some adjustability, I found someone selling the muffler/90* bend/hanger assembly so I picked it up and installed this past weekend

I was kind of shocked

before, the interior drone was deafening - I couldnt hold a conversation with anyone and the radio was almost useless... but I thought it was a fair trade for the car sounding so good

after installing the muffler (no plates, wide open), I can hear again. The interior is damn-near factory quiet and I can finally toss the bottle of tylenol I kept in the console. The best part is the car sounds the same outside... and oddly, car feels like it may have picked up a hp or two

weird..
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing what little things do huh? And I think the horsepower gain is in your head. A car that pulls hard and is quiet will feel faster than an equally fast car that's quiet as hell.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!!!! this is what I am looking forward to as I just picked up a borla adjustable and I am fitting it with a cut out. I can't wait to be able to drive for more then 5 min with out my head pounding.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

The gain could certainly be noticeable. My car lost tq down low with the cutout open but gained hp.

Last edited by gregrob; 05-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well borla mufflers all flow VERY well, I've also noticed on my car that with the cut out closed it will break the tires loose sooner and when its open it feels like it has a little more up top.
now throw an e-cut out valve on that thing
I put a TD on mine, sounds like sex!

eww thats the ugly side so I hafta post a pic of the pretty side now(^thats not visible from behind anyways)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

and here's my borla on the dyno. with lpp's/cats. I love the sound at wide open throttle but no drone is key for me.

z28 dyno borla
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What gregrob said...

With a high flowing muffler you can lose some back pressure, which necessarily won't lose you power, it just puts it higher in the rpm range in many cases. It probably feels snappier down low due to the replacement of back pressure. I've experienced this before myself...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
well borla mufflers all flow VERY well, I've also noticed on my car that with the cut out closed it will break the tires loose sooner and when its open it feels like it has a little more up top.
now throw an e-cut out valve on that thing
I put a TD on mine, sounds like sex!
Ha! that looks like mine - I've got a QTP one that adjusts that'll be replacing this one soon
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I learned this long ago with long tubes, off road y pipe, and an slp loudmouth.

Ive said it befor and ill say it again, i dont care what ANYONE says, lt1's need backpressure to have good low end torque. People will preach till they are blue in the face, but until you go through it (like the OP just has) all your facts are moot. I added a simple moroso spiral flow to my slp loudmouth and the low end improvement was amazing. Put it on for a 1200 mile drive to texas, got 30mpg in a 6 speed car aswell.

your gas mileage will also improve drastically, and youll find you dont have to give it as much throttle from a dead stop to get up to speed.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
I learned this long ago with long tubes, off road y pipe, and an slp loudmouth.

Ive said it befor and ill say it again, i dont care what ANYONE says, lt1's need backpressure to have good low end torque. People will preach till they are blue in the face, but until you go through it (like the OP just has) all your facts are moot. I added a simple moroso spiral flow to my slp loudmouth and the low end improvement was amazing. Put it on for a 1200 mile drive to texas, got 30mpg in a 6 speed car aswell.

your gas mileage will also improve drastically, and youll find you dont have to give it as much throttle from a dead stop to get up to speed.
Cutouts gain both HP and TQ on a dyno, all the way through the RPM range - even on the low end. Its been shown many times that you don't lose anything down low from an open exhaust unless the tune is way off.

Backpressure is an old *** misleading concept, and is always a bad thing for an engine.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
Ha! that looks like mine - I've got a QTP one that adjusts that'll be replacing this one soon
nice! is that a dummy tailpipe mounted on the passenger side? I considered throwing one on myself.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1414143-new-tips.html

Quick Reply: Borla observation on my LT1