LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

changin gaskets, front seal is leakin oil,

Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up changin gaskets, front seal is leakin oil,

hey guys so im changin the oil pan seal on the TA, and i was wondering if yall could think of anything else that usually goes along with it? i was thinkin of the timing cover and those gaskets as well... chime in and give me some suggestions...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_TA_USMC
hey guys so im changin the oil pan seal on the TA, and i was wondering if yall could think of anything else that usually goes along with it? i was thinkin of the timing cover and those gaskets as well... chime in and give me some suggestions...
The timing cover gasket and the oil pan gasket are completely separate from each other. It would be an awful lot of work just to change the gasket.

If the only thing that is leaking is the oil pan gasket, that's the only thing I would replace.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The timing cover gasket and the oil pan gasket are completely separate from each other. It would be an awful lot of work just to change the gasket.

If the only thing that is leaking is the oil pan gasket, that's the only thing I would replace.
I sort of agree, since I subscribe to the theory that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, to my personal experience, EVERY seal on an LT1 is just a leak waiting to happen. It's just a matter of time.....
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I sort of agree, since I subscribe to the theory that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, to my personal experience, EVERY seal on an LT1 is just a leak waiting to happen. It's just a matter of time.....
But would you want to remove the water pump, AIR pump, cooling fans, optispark, crank hub, damper, and finally the timing cover, just to replace one of the more reliable gaskets on an LT1 engine? Not to mention having to replace the water pump gaskets, water pump drive seal, water pump bolt sealant, front main seal, and the optispark drive seal in the process? That leaves alot of room for error, IMO!

LT1s didn't leak from the factory. Most new leaks I've seen are associated with prior replacements/installs not done properly. Before I took my engine apart for the first time I had a very small front main seal leak, but that was about it. Remember some of these cars are 18 years old, so the leaks you see can be applied to just about any 18 year old car.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
.....LT1s didn't leak from the factory. Most new leaks I've seen are associated with prior replacements/installs not done properly. Before I took my engine apart for the first time I had a very small front main seal leak, but that was about it. Remember some of these cars are 18 years old, so the leaks you see can be applied to just about any 18 year old car.
They may have not leaked when brand new, but my intake started leaking on my '96 Z-28 when the car was 3 years old. The dealer fixed that on warranty. (I'm the original owner) However, after that, the warranty was kaput, and since then, I've had to pull the intake and reseal it twice. The RTV cooks out in 3-4 years, like clockwork.

I've had two of the four seals on the front cover leak, requiring replacement, and the rear main started leaking 2 years ago, causing me to have to drop the pan, pull the tranny, and replace that too. All told, I've replaced every gasket on the engine except the head gaskets....
Old 05-06-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

well somethin a little different, i have oil droplets comin out of midway down on the timing cover bolts... so im thinkin may be a good idea to take a look, i still have less than 500 miles on the motor since the cam install, and all top end motor work, nothin leaked when i finished install and ran it, just the face that she has been sittin a little while seems weird to start a leak...? **** is drivin me crazy at this point!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_TA_USMC
well somethin a little different, i have oil droplets comin out of midway down on the timing cover bolts... so im thinkin may be a good idea to take a look, i still have less than 500 miles on the motor since the cam install, and all top end motor work, nothin leaked when i finished install and ran it, just the face that she has been sittin a little while seems weird to start a leak...? **** is drivin me crazy at this point!
It's been a year since I last had my timing cover off, and my memory isn'r as sharp a it used to be, but I seem to recall that a few of the cover bolt holes aren't "blind holes". I may have put a dab of thread sealer on the bolts when I put it back together....
Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

ill get pics of it all before and after, dont' give me hell if i got some ghetto riggin on her
Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Launching!

I just finished changing the oil pan and front cover last week. It took a little doing, but if you've got the time to do it it's not really that hard, just takes time. I was able to buy a new front cover with the seals installed for around $60 to my door from amazon. I had the egr and air removed so it wasnt too bad to do the front cover. I also took the opportunity to put in a new water pump, 160 thermostat, and clean/seal up the opti. If you decide to replace the front cover feel free to message me if you have any questions. The nice part about doing it completely wrong the first time is now I know what not to do haha.

It's a double edged sword with these gaskets. If you only change the oil pan gasket and it ends up being something on the front cover, you'll have to be verrrrry careful removing the front cover to not rip the oil pan gasket. They share the oil pan gasket at the bottom under the crank. I was glad to do both of them at the same time just to know that nightmare is over with. Now I just have to do the intake and valve cover gaskets and I might have this leak chased down hahah. It did fix a LOT of the leak, now I'm down to a drop or two a week. Either way good luck!

I've got a homemade hub installer for sale if you need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changin gaskets, front seal is leakin oil,