LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some fuel related advice needed

Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some fuel related advice needed

I already tried a search but found nothing specific. Since this is fuel related I will check the Fueling and Injection Section too. But I wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.

I ordered a Racetronix Walbro 255 fuel pump, and hotwire kit. When we replace the pump, harness, and filter, should I look into either upgrading, or cleaning my injectors? Or replace/upgrade anything else that is fuel related?

My car is stock besides the CAI and TSP Catback. It is also my daily driver, and I will not be doing any MAJOR HP upgrades anytime soon. So if I upgrade Injectors, which would you recommend? New and fresh stock injectors or aftermarket?

If I simply need to clean the ones I have, should I replace anything else fuel related? Since I am replacing the pump, harness, and filter I would simply like to do it right and make sure I'm not leaving anything out.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I would do is change the fuel filter while you're at it.

Injectors are only a supplemental modification, and any larger injectors on an otherwise stock car will not carry any benefit. Injectors are pretty reliable devices, so I would just have them cleaned if you feel they are dirty (most shops should be able to do this) and have the o-rings replaced.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The only thing I would do is change the fuel filter while you're at it.

Injectors are only a supplemental modification, and any larger injectors on an otherwise stock car will not carry any benefit. Injectors are pretty reliable devices, so I would just have them cleaned if you feel they are dirty (most shops should be able to do this) and have the o-rings replaced.
Thank you very much! I definitely plan on replacing the fuel filter. I figured that performance injectors would have little benefit on a stock motor, but wasn't sure if factory injectors became a risk after a 100 K. Ill look into injector cleaning, but would you recommend to just have them done professionally? I'm not an expert by any means, but have no problem reading directions and using common sense.

Im not sure how bad fuel lines can get internally; guess it may depend on what kind of fuel is used on an average basis? But I imagine that some fuel system cleaner like Lucas should do the trick with a new pump, filter, and clean injectors correct?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just the hotwire kit and a walbro 255. I dropped my tank out of the bottom of the car...what a pain in the ***! It's seriously pretty awful. I can see why so many people do the trap door method.

Remember when you replace the pump to re-use the stock fuel bucket (what the factory pump is inside) you'll need to pry it open to get the old pump out, and some epoxy to re-seal it when you get the new one in. Pick that up in advance, and allow the epoxy to set before you put it back in the tank obviously.

There is a group of people that will say that it's okay not to re-use the factory fuel bucket, and to just use a hose clamp and attach the 255 to the pump bracket-don't do it. It will run hotter, and with a somewhat involved job like this, why cut corners and be lazy? There's no real benefit to doing this other than it's less of a hassle, again re-use that bucket!

Injectors should be fine. If you feel they are dirty, you could have them cleaned, but chances are they're fine.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I just the hotwire kit and a walbro 255. I dropped my tank out of the bottom of the car...what a pain in the ***! It's seriously pretty awful. I can see why so many people do the trap door method.

Remember when you replace the pump to re-use the stock fuel bucket (what the factory pump is inside) you'll need to pry it open to get the old pump out, and some epoxy to re-seal it when you get the new one in. Pick that up in advance, and allow the epoxy to set before you put it back in the tank obviously.

There is a group of people that will say that it's okay not to re-use the factory fuel bucket, and to just use a hose clamp and attach the 255 to the pump bracket-don't do it. It will run hotter, and with a somewhat involved job like this, why cut corners and be lazy? There's no real benefit to doing this other than it's less of a hassle, again re-use that bucket!

Injectors should be fine. If you feel they are dirty, you could have them cleaned, but chances are they're fine.
Cool man, I appreciate the heads up on the bucket. That is one piece of information I did not come across while doing my initial research. I debated on the trap door, and still havent come to a solid conclusion yet. Whats making me lean towards dropping the tank is that my catback is currently bolted rather than welded. Dont worry, its bolted with actual hangers and all correct hardware..not coat hangers..lol. So since the the exhaust will take less than 10 minutes to take out I think it would be worth dropping the tank. Plus, feeding the harness through would be a bit easier; although i read that with the trap door you simply tie it to a coat hanger and feed it through.

Since I'll be down there I can do the heater hose mod while I wait on the epoxy to dry lol.

As far as the Injectors being dirty, I honestly wouldn't know how to tell. I see some research in my future lol. Some Lucas Fuel System cleaner may just do the trick and break up any mild build up that may be present.

But again, thanks for the heads up on the pump replacement. Any info to pass down on the hotwire kit? I heard the hardest part was feeding it between the tank and body. The rest of the harness follows the same path as the stock harness correct?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone else has some extra input on this. Thanks again for the two previous replies though, very solid answeres!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry, didn't see your response. I didn't have exhaust on my car when I did the tank, and it was still an epic pain in the ***. The filler neck is attached to the tank, it's all one piece and its a pain in the *** to snake out of there. It does make cleaning a lot easier tho.

The hotwire kit is pretty straight forward, it comes with good instructions. It essentially plugs into where the factory harness would have connected to the car, and then the factory line coming from fuel pump plugs into the new racetronix line instead of plugging into the spot where the new harness went. Then you just run it the length of the car along with the fuel lines, over the tranny tunnel at whatever point you like best, and then up the firewall and to the back of the alternator. It's pretty straight forward. The actual hotwire kit doesn't go to the top of the tank/fuel pump-it just connects to the factory fuel pump line which already runs down to in front of the rear axel on the driver's side.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Awesome dude, you rock! I'm relieved to know that there will be no "snaking" the harness through the body and to the top of the tank business!! Like I said in my other post, I will find all my trap door measurements here from other members, and then go practice on a f-body at the junk yard. While I'm at it I may just ****** up an extra factory fuel bucket

As far as I can tell from other member trap door mods; I'll need a piece of sheet metal, short self tapping screws, and some sealant to do my own trap door.

I do need to do some research on tank cleaning though and if you can even clean it when you do the trap door rather than dropping the tank. Iv'e never cleaned a fuel tank so I dont have the slightest idea lol.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Teching In

I just recently replaced my pump. I did not install the hot wire kit - Still using the factory wiring. I could not bring myself to cut a trap door so I did it the hard way. the pics show line and wire routing(kinda) It was a PITA for sure but its done...Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Some fuel related advice needed-img_0812.jpg   Some fuel related advice needed-img_0817.jpg   Some fuel related advice needed-img_0801.jpg  
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Cool buddy, thanks for posting the pics! I guess that it is just a matter of personal preference..drop tank or trap door...lol. I maked two areas in one of the pics you posted below:

This rear fuel tank view is from the DRIVER side correct?

Are the lines in the RED cirlce the fuel lines running down from the top of the tank?

And is the electrical plug in the GREEN circle my fuel pump harness?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes and yes.

Racetronix also posts these pics - might want to check them out too.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Yes and yes.

Racetronix also posts these pics - might want to check them out too.
Awesome, thanks man! I have navigated through their site a little; I'll go back and spend some time there to find some extra photos and information.

I really do appreciate all the good advice guys!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Not an issue, glad to help. But just an fyi, in the green circle in the picture above there is actually 2 connectors, the one on top (in the car) is your ABS, and the bottom one is your fuel pump wiring.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Ah ok I see the two seperate feeds into the connectors now; thanks for pointing that out.

There use to be a picture here, but I labeled it wrong. It has been DELETED to avoid any confusion for others who may being doing some fuel pump research.

Last edited by Tampa_97_SS; 05-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Teching In

FYI- Its actually the opposite of what you have shown. The lower plug is the fuel pump connector with the gray,violet and black wire.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97COss
FYI- Its actually the opposite of what you have shown. The lower plug is the fuel pump connector with the gray,violet and black wire.
Sweet, thanks for the correction. I will edit that picture so it doesn't create confusion with other fuel pump newbies doing their research.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some fuel related advice needed