LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

finally heard my engine start after a while of sitting and possible issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default finally heard my engine start after a while of sitting and possible issues

so last fall i parked the car and did some cosmetic type work under the hood...i removed everything but the engine to paint my fenders and put in braided fuel lines....well the last couple days i put the computer back in along with radiator/tcs/abs/brake lines/maf/cai....yadda yadda.....today i put new fluid in tranny and oil change and replaced the fuel filter...put some water in the radiator and it fired up..but.....it wont stay running on its own(idling way to low without a lil pressure on ped) and is smoking and smells really rich.....i'm getting alot of condensation in my exhaust also...i dont think its coolant smoke its more bluish but smells like fuel....i have to fix my fp sending unit so i can know what the pressure is at....also gotta do a good check tomorrow to make sure all grounds and wires are hooked up and make sure my cai is all tight not giving me a seal leak....i know this is alot of reading but anyone else have any suggestions...is it just the case of it being sitting for a while and the fact i pulled the computer so it needs to relearn...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

ok so started off the day checking over stuff....redid my cai to make sure there are no air leaks there....checked all my wiring connectors and everything is plugged in but one thing...by the abs/tc unit there are 2 harnesses/1 has a cap on it and the other which is running with it is a 4 wire with purple weather guard/i know the one with cap doesnt hook to anything but the other i couldnt find where it goes to if it even does go to anything....moving on....the main ground going to the block from the battery was loose so i tightened that down....stiil no differance so i went to buy a cheap scan tool...hooked it up and got PO200....started retracking everything i did over the winter...i checked all the wires running the pass wheel well and redid the grounds there...still no differance...tomorrow im gonna check the injector harnesses because i tucked those under the fuel rail to make sure i didnt pinch tjhem off or anything....anyone have any kind of input or guidance on this one...it starts hard and i need to press the pedal to get it to turn over/wont idle on its own/smells like strong fuel and smokes...when i do give it it sounds like crap and its either water concensation or fuel being pissed out the exhaust...
Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Fixed....pulled all the injector wires...one had a bad kink init so I fixed that and the #1 injector had a wire coming off of it that an installer tapped into for remote start that I think was grounding on the fuel rails ....fixed those buttoned it back up and she fired right up and idled great.... no return of code so far

Quick Reply: finally heard my engine start after a while of sitting and possible issues