LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Overheating in minutes - Air in the cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating in minutes - Air in the cooling system?

My Camaro, which sat for over a year, is overheating after just a few minutes of driving or about 5-10 minutes of idling. Here are the symptoms:

- Once the car is off, you can hear water (or air?) swooshing around in the radiator. How do I bleed the coolant system?

- The radiator cap is "cool" to the touch, yet the temperature gauge reads in the red.

I'm pretty sure the problem is due to air in the system, but I'm unsure of the best way to bleed the cooling system.

Last edited by Counted Out; 05-05-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it sat for a year pull the T-stat and change it then dump the coolant and flush the system. then refill and see if you have a problem. To bleed just take the cap off the radiator and fill it. then start it and keep filling while running untill it's full. sometimes it's helps to get the front end up in the air a bit. It makes bleeding the system bit less painfull. If it won't bleed then you may have a clogged cross over pipe on the back of the heads. I would be questioning where the coolant went, so fill it and see if you can find a leak.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is the car? As said i would find out where the coolant went or how air got into it (like my blown gasket still mad) anyway. the cap may be cold but is the main hose leading into the radiator hot, what about the two hoses to your heater core? are they both hot and same temperature hotness?
Coolant went everywhereeeee when i had the cap off and started it, but that can be either from my gasket or pump kicking in from what i understand. Your car should have two bleeder valves on the top hoses, no?

Quick Reply: Overheating in minutes - Air in the cooling system?