LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Been through a few ICM's... any help out there?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Been through a few ICM's... any help out there?

The Ignition Control Module on my 93 LT1 Trans Am bit the bullet again, leaving me stranded for a while on the parkway as the cops threatened to tow me.
I can't believe that little thing shuts the car down at an instant and always at the worst time possible with no power steering or brakes, twice now while entering an entrance ramp... let alone shelling out over a hundred bucks for a new one!

Is there anything that I can do to make this thing more reliable or last longer? Is heat getting it, because it's on the block mounted to a heat sink... I know at times the car will re-start after it cools down.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could use a few washers to space the coil/module away from the block. Have you had the modules tested to confirm they were going out?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test the coil. If you're installing the ICM correctly using heat sink compound, that's about the only thing that could knock the ICM out. If you have a few dead ICM's you could send them to me and I'll tell you what part of them died if I can.

Anyone here up on these? I built two for my car out of junk box parts and both worked. I'm sure it's the output section of a HEI module with a different input circuit. One could modify the circuit to use a regular low cost old style 4 pin HEI module.

Al
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

I moved mine off the head completely. Just extended the wires and ran it over by the fuse box.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
You could use a few washers to space the coil/module away from the block. Have you had the modules tested to confirm they were going out?
bingo the ole icm cooling mod
Old 05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thankyou for the responses... I've been busy, the transfer case on my truck went and It's been getting my attention lately!

I'm the original owner of the car and it has 160K on the motor and I've been through about 4 or 5 ICM's spaced out over that time. The last one lasted me 10,000 miles so I don't think I have much to gripe about just wanna see if I can make it better like everything else I've done to the car.

You guys have had a problem too, and this remedied it?

... so I'm guessing the consensus is that heat is probably a culprit, right?
Is spacing the heat-sink and the module off the block enough or should I just re-locate the whole thing?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry... I have never had the modules tested?.. just replaced the part and got it going again. They last me 2-5 years and I always use the heatsink compound. I still have the last one that went bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Been through a few ICM's... any help out there?