LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sort of a beging to a buidl thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sort of a beging to a buidl thread

well about a year ago i pegged the temp gauge on the car and then broke the reverse lockout syliniod which lead to this finally.

about a week ago i pulled the dip stick and saw that the oil level on it was double what it is supposed to be with water in it. I though well maybe a blown head gasket so i decide to tear the heads off and check.

i pulled the heads off and found that i have a little porting on the intake and heads along with double valve springs, comp mangum pushrods, and comp 1.52 roller tip rockers. after puttign the heads and intake up i noticed the pistons had some numbers on them and cleaned them to find out my motor was .030 over. i am like yes win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the gaskets were good and i had no water in the cylinders. i havent figured out yet what has caused the water to end up in the pan. any enlightenment on this will help. i also pulled the pistons out and the cylinders do not have holes in them.

among pulling the pistons and rods i decide to inspect rod bearings and found out that number 6 rod looked like this

thank god i pulled the motor apart

now to pictures.

water line in oil pain up to milk

motor out of car

motor in car (pulled it from the top in 5 mins without heads and intake)

heads

pistons

now some pics misc

found me some big blocks a stock bore and stock deck height 1968 396 and a 454 that is arp studded and freshly bored got them both for 50 along with some junk casting heads

and the trans i have (not pictured is a 700r4) from left to right th200. th350, m6

Last edited by Big bird55; 05-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just throwing this out there...EPIC FAIL on the title...lol.

Good luck on the build tho
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Get the heads and block hot tanked and checked for cracks at a good machine shop. If good, have them mic the bores for cylinder taper and ridge wear then pray the block can be cleaned up with a simple hone. If not .040 over and new pistons may be an option. Good luck brother
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

yea i just noticed it
Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

the cylinders still have the cross etching in it so i am hoping i can save it. i am taking everything to the machine shop when i get everything pulled apart thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn you did pull that out just in time! Hopefully the block and heads are in good shape and just need to be cleaned up. What are your plans for the bottom end?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Since the motor is torn down this far, it could be a great time to buy a stroker crank if the stock one has deep gouges and can't be cleaned up from the #6 bearings giving way. I would make damn sure the water jackets are not cracked in the block and the head are not warped or cracked also.

I once had a good buddy put a shitload of cash in a 350 that wouldn't hold oil pressure because there was a crack in the webbing for the cam bearings.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

i am having the heads and block checked.

surprisingly no gouges in the crank a little wear. although the rods and mains bearings were stamped 040. i don't no if i can go a little more on the crank if i have to. if i can just polish the crank a little and use it i plan to put back together a little motor with a cam. if the crank is gone then i will have to wait until li can save money (which will be after 4 years college is about to start) to buy a good rotating assembly.

but if everything checks out good i will re ring it and re bearing it and get some arp rod bolts and put it back together with my cc306
Old 05-09-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Good luck brother.

Quick Reply: sort of a beging to a buidl thread