LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Upgrading ignition on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading ignition on LT1

Where do I start, what should I buy? ...not looking for anything super strong, just a good upgrade, something to handle everything for me. monitor what needs to be monitored and a good push in a the HP department.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

for the mods you have a stock ignition will work fine. maybe throw on an ignition box if you want.. i run a mallory 685 just for the two-step function
Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A good working factory set up is the way to go. Put some fresh NGK TR5s in it and a set of MSD or Taylor wires if yours have some miles on them and have fun. Ignition boxes are great for a power adder cars like Nitrous since they can be used to pull timing but NA, not really worth it. They can be a pain in the *** also if they start to fail, if running one, ALWAYs use an MSD style coil harness so you can unplug it if so. Guys that splice in to the factory harness are asking for trouble. Looking at your mods, use the money for a quality torque converter. That is going to be a huge gain in your car, same with a set of 3.73 gears also. The rockers and a fresh set of valve springs will also help. Tune if you don't yet have one.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Im guessing i might have to if the stock factory ignition will do, i just dont know where to start as far as the rear end goes, go brand new or junkyard rear end. I bought brand new yr5's and accell wires when the headers got put in. Probably a tune is where ill go...get everything smoothed out. Ed wright might be the way ill go, there are no LT1 tuners down in south texas. But ill start reasearching...thanks guys, i always appreciate the advice.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Launching!

I would recommend Ed he is tuning my PCM and is great to work with. I should be getting my PCM back by the end of the week.

Quick Reply: Upgrading ignition on LT1