LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rebuild

Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Default rebuild

Well this past Saturday I took the car out to the track (1/8 mile) for the first time (for me too) I made a total of four passes. To make a long story short I ended up spinning a cam bearing on the last pass. So it’s time for a full rebuild and I have some questions. I want to do this for $3500-$4000 if possible, and the car is my DD. First question cam I would like to run the XE 230/236: (230/236 .544/.555 112lsa) does anyone know the part # for this and what spring should I run with it. Next is the bottom end summit sells a full rebuild kit with forged pistons for $599, good deal? It will also be getting ARP bolts wherever possible. Any ideas are welcome
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first are you doing the work? or is an engine builder getting the engine to rebuild? or you you going to try half and half?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Im bring the car to a engine builder to be rebuild, so I wont be doing any work on the car.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

good, If you start ording parts for him to rebuild it usually wont sit well with them. They don't like to use parts they don't normally use. I would talk to him real long and hard about what you are trying to do with this engine and let him meet your budget. It will all depend on what is still useable in the current engine but your budget seems reasonable to even get some head work done depending on who is installing the engine. I would tell him your budget and see what he can do for you.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, that's not a lot of money to pay someone their time for a rebuild. I did my rebuild about 90% myself...i still had to send the block to the machine shop to get .030 over. It's a royal pain to get these motors out...along with all the little odds and end connectors, vacuum lines, and other things. what i'm saying is your going to pay a decent amount in labor time for that budget and there won't be a lot of coin left over for parts.

If your thinking about doing a cam, forged pistons, and other top-end work to go along with this cam you are probably going to be over budget.

realistically, there are probably going to be a lot of little things that need replacing. I had a budget set with my car and I really wanted to stroke the motor. After opening pandora's box at 96k miles, I spent most of that budget on parts that needed replacing after 10 years on the road.

If that's your budget and your bolts seem to be about done...like my car was, i would spend the $ on the cam and good replacement parts. No need to forge unless you plan on boost or serious other power adder.

Heads would be a great option since you are rebuilding and considering this cam, but probably a little outside of your budget right now.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaycenk
good, If you start ording parts for him to rebuild it usually wont sit well with them. They don't like to use parts they don't normally use. I would talk to him real long and hard about what you are trying to do with this engine and let him meet your budget. It will all depend on what is still useable in the current engine but your budget seems reasonable to even get some head work done depending on who is installing the engine. I would tell him your budget and see what he can do for you.
I just Dropped the car off today , he is going to start the tare down and see what can be reused then I will go from there.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jesup16
Honestly, that's not a lot of money to pay someone their time for a rebuild. I did my rebuild about 90% myself...i still had to send the block to the machine shop to get .030 over. It's a royal pain to get these motors out...along with all the little odds and end connectors, vacuum lines, and other things. what i'm saying is your going to pay a decent amount in labor time for that budget and there won't be a lot of coin left over for parts.

If your thinking about doing a cam, forged pistons, and other top-end work to go along with this cam you are probably going to be over budget.

realistically, there are probably going to be a lot of little things that need replacing. I had a budget set with my car and I really wanted to stroke the motor. After opening pandora's box at 96k miles, I spent most of that budget on parts that needed replacing after 10 years on the road.

If that's your budget and your bolts seem to be about done...like my car was, i would spend the $ on the cam and good replacement parts. No need to forge unless you plan on boost or serious other power adder.

Heads would be a great option since you are rebuilding and considering this cam, but probably a little outside of your budget right now.
Yea I want to stay near the budget if possible, the sad thing is that I have a set of 374 casting heads in my room right now, but I know that it would go over budget at this time if I sent them to LE or AI.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel you man...I really wanted to do somethings when I tore my car apart. How many miles do you have on yours?

The good news is that like every part on my car is new and its good to go for many miles. It's a lot easier to replace a lot of these things when the car is apart and you are rebuilding. Heads can always be done later...and all though they are not a bolt on...doing a cam during the rebuild is cheap and will give great results.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

It has 145,xxx
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Once you have the bottom end solid again there are plenty of hp gains on heads and cam with stock pistons. It can be done down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rebuild