LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Egr delete question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egr delete question

I deleted it along with the AIR system. I have no tune yet for it(getting one next weekend). I still have the solenoid still plugged in, but all plugged up. With no SES. I still have this light jerk in 1500-2800 rpms around the egr working area rather I'm lightly acceling or holding steady idle within that range.

My question is this.
Do I need to keep the vac line from the solenoid to the intake hooked up, or is it okay if I plug the solenoid lines and plug the intake? Could this be my issue or am I just needing it tuned out?

I tried searching but all I found was about it plugged in, nothing about leaving it hooked to the intake.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by bennett28; 05-15-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM

You should get the tune, but did you have this problem before you removed all the emissions? If you did you might want to get that looked at. If you can monitor you engine while your symptoms are there. Do you have a scanner , also check your fuel psi.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can pull the vac lines off the solenoid completely. As along as the valve is still attached to the manifold and the vacuum lines disconnected you will be fine. don't forget to put cap in the intake side. Aside from that it will probably help but who knows for sure since you're not getting any codes.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM

had issue before removing them. I thought it was the egr, that's why I was removing it. Just needing to know if the vac line can be plugged with solenoid plugged in or if it has to be hooked up to the intake.

fuel psi is fine, spark is fine, I have already checked all the basic stuff to check but seeing it does it when it's only in closed loop, leaves me to believe it's emissions, mainly the egr.

I'm waiting on cable right now, so was just asking this quick question before I hook it up to freescan and look
Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by duh
you can pull the vac lines off the solenoid completely. As along as the valve is still attached to the manifold and the vacuum lines disconnected you will be fine. don't forget to put cap in the intake side. Aside from that it will probably help but who knows for sure since you're not getting any codes.
The valve is gone. I blocked everything off. Just wondering if the solenoid being capped vs hooked to intake would matter or not.

It was a last ditch effect to fix the annoying issue. When cable gets here i'm going to check the O2 volts just to see as well. Really think it's the egr was and is doing it. Because before the blockoff I unplugged the line off the valve and it ran fine. Takes about 20 minutes of driving to start being annoying.

Last edited by bennett28; 05-15-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you leave the solenoid hooked to the intake and plugged into the harness, when the ecm requests egr function it will open the solenoid to unmetered air. That gives you a straight vacuum leak to the atmosphere. So that could be part of your issue.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:11 PM

I have it blocked off and capped right now. I was wondering if the pcm makes account of the extra air right when it puts volts to the solenoid, making it think extra air is going there when it isn't. Because under vac/ off load doesn't jerk at all, but under intake/under load it happens. Not sure how the lt1 pcm operates with everything just yet.

Quick Reply: Egr delete question