LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help understanding how to build a motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help understanding how to build a motor

first off im a girl so go easy on me please
i want to learn how to build a motor from the ground up. i know what some things are and called like the block, cam shaft, crank, heads, pistons, springs and ect its just i dont understand the numbers game as you can say what it all means and what its for. i want to help my boy friend build my motor in a 94 z28 i plan on getting just i dont under stand what all the compression, stroker, boring, cubic inch, and numbers mean and all im pretty sure you get my drift are there any dvds, videos online or references i can read/watch to help me understand all this number stuff i have ask my boy friend before but it just goes over the top of my head. hes a member of this site and owns a few f bodys a 77 camaro witch is his most prized possession god helps anyone who puts a scratch on that thing, a 94 firehawk and z28, and 89 irocz. i have helped him take the motor out of his 94 z28 a few times so i got that down now i want to learn how to build a motor so any help is appreciated
Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Look into these they might help you. http://store.boxwrench.net/Power-Bui...lies_p_85.html
Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

1st off welcome to the site & props for wanting to turn some wrenches! there is an abundant amount of info on this site, 1st read all the stickies then use the advanced search(sticking to the LT1 section will help) for any subject you want to know about. I highly suggest getting a GM shop manual or a chilton's at the very least.
this is a very good source for tech info/how to's that you can thank shbox for -> http://shbox.com/page/index.html

also I'd suggest reading some of these books, I did multiple times as a kid lol
from the master- "John Lingenfelter Modifying SB Chevy Engines"
another good read- "How to Hotrod Small-Block Chevys" (covers all SBC engines 1955- 1972, 265-400 Cubic Inches)
annd another- "HP Books Small-Block Chevy Engine Buildups Guides"

that should keep you busy
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From one girl to another, welcome! As a few people have said on here, it's just nuts and bolts. LOL... I think reading in these forums will be a good base to start with.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
From one girl to another, welcome! As a few people have said on here, it's just nuts and bolts. LOL... I think reading in these forums will be a good base to start with.
jen ur not alone now!!!! lol

hey OP check this book out.......great reading material....and a ton of info on the basic operation......gotta crawl before you can walk.....

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-.../dp/1557883939

also check out this thread i made of my last build........i showed quite a bit on how to assemble a motor........(i left a few things out though )

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ics-video.html
Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1

hey OP check this book out.......great reading material....and a ton of info on the basic operation......gotta crawl before you can walk.....

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-.../dp/1557883939

also check out this thread i made of my last build........i showed quite a bit on how to assemble a motor........(i left a few things out though )

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ics-video.html
Good point on your build thread Mikey V. Looking at that, in my opinion, would be a great place to start with as well.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

...women and camaro's? I just came.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
Good point on your build thread Mikey V. Looking at that, in my opinion, would be a great place to start with as well.
not a great place to "start" but good info to go with that book....and see what stuff looks like to go together.......all the electrical/ignition stuff got a bit complicated towards the end there lol......hell even i was confused for a little while and im an electrical engineer i do crap like this all day lol....

Originally Posted by Randal McSandal
dude no need.....
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

For free internet learning, wikipedia can tell you a lot of info on the internal cumbustion engine. Just go to wikipedia and look up keywords like: internal cumbustion engine, 4 stroke engine, engine displacement, camshaft, small block, V8, and the list goes on.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Teach me what makes women tick and Ill tell you how to build a motor! LOL!! J/K! There a few books also relating basic concepts of engine building and most importantly to learn the language. Check your local bookstore and feel free to browse this website. Its a vast field to be cover in a single thread.

Last edited by chaman; 05-23-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

There's is fair literature out there that can bring you through the steps of "assembling" an engine and I wouldn't go any further than assembling the engine your self.

The key is finding a trust worthy engine machinist to make your your parts are up to snuff, setting the oil clearances right, fresh valve job, enough spring to hold whatever camshaft you choose, piston-to-valve clearance ect..
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Cheerleader turned into a gerhead well sort of lol
Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by va camaro girl
first off im a girl so go easy on me please
i want to learn how to build a motor from the ground up. i know what some things are and called like the block, cam shaft, crank, heads, pistons, springs and ect its just i dont understand the numbers game as you can say what it all means and what its for. i want to help my boy friend build my motor in a 94 z28 i plan on getting just i dont under stand what all the compression, stroker, boring, cubic inch, and numbers mean and all im pretty sure you get my drift are there any dvds, videos online or references i can read/watch to help me understand all this number stuff i have ask my boy friend before but it just goes over the top of my head. hes a member of this site and owns a few f bodys a 77 camaro witch is his most prized possession god helps anyone who puts a scratch on that thing, a 94 firehawk and z28, and 89 irocz. i have helped him take the motor out of his 94 z28 a few times so i got that down now i want to learn how to build a motor so any help is appreciated
welcome! alot of great info above, there is know better knowledge in the world then knowing you have to learn something knew everyday, reading is generally the first step. Also keep the attitude that youll never know everything. Simple math in figuring out Cubic inch. Bore X Stroke x 3.14(Pie or whatever) x number of cylinders.

Standard bore and stroke in a 350(gen I or II) is 3.48 stroke 4.00 bore. A stroker can be anything with a bigger or smaller stroke, a smaller stroke motor is generally referred to as de-stroked. the stoke is the distance the crank moves the piston and rod ***. when you change the stroke you must compensate for that in the compression height of the piston. compression height is where the wrist pin ( mounting point of the rod) is in relationship to the deck surface of the piston.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by va camaro girl
Cheerleader turned into a gerhead well sort of lol
^ thats like a volvo with a gun rack.......not something you see everyday lol
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm surprised no one has asked for pics yet.. you all are too old here!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

I'm surprised no one has asked for pics yet.. you all are too old here!
23 dude........im just not a creeper
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

23 dude........im just not a creeper
im 23 aswell, also not a creeper
Old 05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
im 23 aswell, also not a creeper
oh i got a lead on my problem also.....

dont mean to either......sorry
Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

cough
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
cough
sorry i just kinda ran into you yesterday on your thread........ok you two arent alone lol.......howd u make out with that btw??

Quick Reply: help understanding how to build a motor