LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any helpful gear installation threads around?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any helpful gear installation threads around?

I've searched a few and I was told about a VHS video.. I'm more looking for a type of site or thread that gives step by step procedures.. I've swapped gears b4 but I just was curious about if it was a thread or not.. I even checked the gears part pm this site..
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Gears are the only thing I've ever seen where 99.99999% will ALL tell you to have a pro do it.

I'd attempt it myself, but again more than a cam swap people are told to not attempt it.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is one I recently saw:

http://www.keliente.com/gears1.htm
Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've seen a solid spacer for sale instead of using a crush sleeve. Any reason either way to use one or not to? I've been looking at doing this myself as well. A local shop quoted me $863.00 to do 3.73s in a 2-series carrier. almost 1/2 way to an S60 rear, so no way I'm dumping that in a 10 bolt. I'm not the least bit afraid of doing it myself. Even thought about getting a used set of gears since it's a budget build and a stock 10 bolt...
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in a factory shop manual. Chevy has used the tiny 10 bolt for many years, S-10 manuals are easiest to find in a library.

Don't know your skill level or what tools you have but this is not an easy thing to do. Shops that only do rear ends are the best to use. General auto repair shops usually are not good with rear end set ups.

I live in Tucson and there are two good rear end shops here.
http://www.tucsondifferential.com/
http://www.westerndiff.com/
Both are good. Reason I mention them is any large town should have shops like these. They don't charge any more than a shade tree mechanic and you get a good job.

Al 95 Z28
Old 05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Gears are the only thing I've ever seen where 99.99999% will ALL tell you to have a pro do it.

I'd attempt it myself, but again more than a cam swap people are told to not attempt it.
I've done the swap successfully myself and can tell you its not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. It just takes lots of patience.

Setting lash with a dial indicator can be pretty time consuming, especially if you don't have a good variety of carrier shims. Setting pinion depth on the other hand is easy, especially since GM used basically the same pinion shim on all the 4th gen f-body 10-bolts-- about .030", if I remember correctly.

The only thing I struggled a bit with was getting the pinion preload right, which is pretty crucial. You need lots of room to get a good reading for rotational torque-- if the pinions too loose you'll get a lot of howl and if you over-tighten it, then you've gotta take it all apart and install a new crush sleeve.

If you can get the pinion preload down right, its not a very hard job.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks shbox.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

@ gojira94 I'm not to sure about the 2 series rear. I have a 3 series out of a 99 camaro with a set of 3.42 gears.. But that solid spacer does sound good because that crush sleeve is a pain..
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

@ BigAl

I've taken apart a 2 series an tried to put 3.73s in an found out the hard way.. Lol rookie mistake.. Then I purchased a 3 series and took that apart, put it back together and put in my 94z28.. So I believe I'm pretty knoalageble when it comes to the insides of the pumpkins and the ring an pinion deal.. (personal opinion) no disrespect if it came off the wrong way lol.. But yes I have majority of the tools and of course it's a harbor freight and auto zone near..

Quick Reply: Any helpful gear installation threads around?