LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help picking a Catalytic converter..

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking a Catalytic converter..

I just purchased my pacesetter longtubes.. I already have a magnaflow exaust pack wit no cat.. I want to quiet it down once I put the longtubes on.. Whats a good performance cat I can get to make it as quiet as possible.. Not a sleeper but just quiet..
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've brought a thunderbolt highflow cat that worked well...it eliminated most of the raspy sound and gave my exhaust a deeper tone. Search here for reviews.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

you can't beat these-> http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...9f1e0e67dcaea7
highest flowing cat out ther by far
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
you can't beat these-> http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...9f1e0e67dcaea7
highest flowing cat out ther by far
That should not even be called a cat. It is a straight pipe with a cat shell welded onto it. It would be good for someone who is being inspected for noise and they can see the "cat" on there. I do not have cats now and I am tired of smelling and smelling like the raw gas fumes everytime I drive my car with the windows down. I dont have emissions so I only want a cat for that reason. I think most just run cutouts before the cat.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by REAPER13
That should not even be called a cat. It is a straight pipe with a cat shell welded onto it. It would be good for someone who is being inspected for noise and they can see the "cat" on there. I do not have cats now and I am tired of smelling and smelling like the raw gas fumes everytime I drive my car with the windows down. I dont have emissions so I only want a cat for that reason. I think most just run cutouts before the cat.
haha i did that back in the day......i needed one to pass emissions......i cut my old one in half took the two shells notched them and just welded them around the existing pipe lol....worked like a champ!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by REAPER13
bingo! they don't inspect for noise in my area, they just plug u in 2 make sure theres no codes and normally they give the exhaust a quick visual(along with safety stuff of course). your car is not running overly rich is it? I dont see why raw gas fumes enter your interior.. do you have dumps or full tailpipes?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Any 1 think the magnaflow high flow cat will quiet it down better..
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MAROBOY_TRAV
Any 1 think the magnaflow high flow cat will quiet it down better..
a waste of money imo, believe it or not our stock cats are very efficient, not to mention it would quiet it down more than a magnaflow
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

i'm kinda in the same boat, only i just want em to get rid of most of the rasp & inspection for the visual. So no magnaflow universals? Any links to something else?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
bingo! they don't inspect for noise in my area, they just plug u in 2 make sure theres no codes and normally they give the exhaust a quick visual(along with safety stuff of course). your car is not running overly rich is it? I dont see why raw gas fumes enter your interior.. do you have dumps or full tailpipes?
They are dumped before the axle. I get the smell when I am sitting at idle in traffic or whatever, but only if the windows are down. No fumes enter the car with the windows up. I will be installing a new exhaust soon with 1 7/8 headers, 3" y-pipe w/ 3" cutouts before it goes into the single 3" and before the cat, then into a 3" single in & 3" dual out Magnaflow muffler and out to my 3" CME. The cutouts will act as my true duals and hopefully have the same results in sound and power. With them closed I am hoping it will be much quiter.

I would look into the first mentioned cat or this one from Thunder, I don't know much about the Magnaflows:

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...ic-Converters/
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
I've brought a thunderbolt highflow cat that worked well...it eliminated most of the raspy sound and gave my exhaust a deeper tone. Search here for reviews.
Do you have a pic? I'm interested on how you made them work with the Y pipe..I have some jethot emissions LT that I plan on using on my Z28 but want to see where to mount either one or two cats on the car.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just added two Magnaflow bullet cats (part #59959) to my Hooker long tubes, Hooker ORYP and GMMG and it quieted it down quite a bit.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I just added two Magnaflow bullet cats (part #59959) to my Hooker long tubes, Hooker ORYP and GMMG and it quieted it down quite a bit.
DO you have a video of your car now? I'm trying to figure out my exhaust set up in the near future. Still have a good tone even if it is quieter?

I was thinking LT's, CATS on the y pipe and either magnaflow or GMMG cat back if money is there.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can maybe get one sometime, but iIthink that it sounds better with the cats than without. It is still fairly loud, but just seems to sound more refined than before.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by reaper13
that should not even be called a cat. It is a straight pipe with a cat shell welded onto it. It would be good for someone who is being inspected for noise and they can see the "cat" on there. I do not have cats now and i am tired of smelling and smelling like the raw gas fumes everytime i drive my car with the windows down. I dont have emissions so i only want a cat for that reason. I think most just run cutouts before the cat.
same here !!

Quick Reply: Need help picking a Catalytic converter..