LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick Q bout steering shaft.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Q bout steering shaft.

I do know how to use the search button, but I was curious on some of the options posted. I am doing a ebay header install. I'm in the process of trying to move the steering column over almost a quarter of an inch, but it wont move freely? I can move it a hair by pushing or pulling but it just settles right back in place. Pry bar? Sounds tricky... Also I read that someone had drilled a quarter inch over on the slots for the 3 shaft bolts to the firewall. How could this be done with it all still in the car and not drilling through the firewall? Not so sure how to go about this one. Gotta get the car going for memorial day weekend camping trip.. Leaving thursday and I would like to be able to go for a couple spins before I go the distance..
Thanks for all advice/tips in advance!!

Joe
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

From what I understand by reading the threads, you move the column by pulling it out and slotting the holes in the firewall. Obviously can't be done with the column installed.

[edit] Ah, I should have remembered that the holes in the firewall are threaded. Do what wrd1972 said below. Slot the column flange.

Last edited by shbox; 05-25-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

It sounds like a good amount of work ahead of you. Have you looked around for an ls1 steering shaft? Doesn't take much to get it to fit perfectly.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont have to pull, remove the column. I pulled the bolts and elongated the holes in just the column itself. This allowed it to shift a good 1/2" or so.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Dont have to pull, remove the column. I pulled the bolts and elongated the holes in just the column itself. This allowed it to shift a good 1/2" or so.
Yes, this is what I was talking about. I can move it enough to where it will fit with a friend using a pry bar, but how did you go about elongating the holes in the column??

Originally Posted by Xposure
It sounds like a good amount of work ahead of you. Have you looked around for an ls1 steering shaft? Doesn't take much to get it to fit perfectly.
Definitely don't want to mess with the 90 degree difference in the shafts right now.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dremel and a carbide 1/8" bit. Took only a couple minutes to do.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Nice that's what I wanted to know!
Thanks wrd!

Quick Reply: Quick Q bout steering shaft.