LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clickin, Tapping, Knocking? WTH is it

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clickin, Tapping, Knocking? WTH is it

Im not sure if you can hear it on this video(most noticeable 14secs-19secs). Its not like its a loud obvious noise. I can hear it and the time in between tapping increases when I push the pedal. Ive done as much research as I could, so now I am posting.

p.s. This was recorded from my phone so the sound quality is iffy

http://youtu.be/MKk2vuqfW8A

*updated video* http://youtu.be/1IIs-XnzT3I

Last edited by SoCalCal; 05-31-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: video link
Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

It doesn't sound like a rod but you never changed rpms on the motor.
Knocking is usually something deep in the motor going south like a rod or main bearing, piston slap or connecting rod issues.

Tapping is usually valvetrain issues. Rocker arm, lifter. Exhaust leaks can sound alot like a lifter or rocker problem.

Clicking could be an injector noise which may not be a problem at all.

Post the problem again with a better camera and change the engine rpm's so the problem is more audible.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 PM

I really dont hear anything out of the ordinary. Can you pin point the noise anywhere at all? I would go get a stethoscope from harbor freight and just start listening to things.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
It doesn't sound like a rod but you never changed rpms on the motor.
Knocking is usually something deep in the motor going south like a rod or main bearing, piston slap or connecting rod issues.

Tapping is usually valvetrain issues. Rocker arm, lifter. Exhaust leaks can sound alot like a lifter or rocker problem.

Clicking could be an injector noise which may not be a problem at all.

Post the problem again with a better camera and change the engine rpm's so the problem is more audible.
Im gonna pull the HD camera out n get a decent video. I cant hear it from under hood. but inside the car and under i can hear it...I rev'd it up but my phone camera is a POS....new video coming
Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tonygarcia1990
I really dont hear anything out of the ordinary. Can you pin point the noise anywhere at all? I would go get a stethoscope from harbor freight and just start listening to things.
I dont hear it much....I looked at youtube videos of lt1s knocking and it sounds nothing like that. I know its coming from the lower section of the engine. I can barely hear it under the hood
Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you plugs all tight?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Are you plugs all tight?
Should be ... They were tight when the new wires were installed...I check that as well
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
Should be ... They were tight when the new wires were installed...I check that as well
Any chance you've done any exhaust work? When I put my LTs on i was short one 3 inch band clamp and had to use the normal U clamps(i hate them) and had a small header leak that sounded like a lifter tick. Got another band clamp(ftw!), ticking went away.

I've also herd that a leaking exhaust manifold can sound like a ticking noise.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did you start note this sound, how long you have the car ?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalCal
I dont hear it much....I looked at youtube videos of lt1s knocking and it sounds nothing like that. I know its coming from the lower section of the engine. I can barely hear it under the hood
like from the oil pan ???
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah if it was a rod bearing stacked or a wrist pin problem there'd be little question. I noticed headers in your video, check the collector gaskets if the noise is more audible down there under the car. High temp Permatex copper sealant on the header collector. then a new gasket then more copper sealant on the exhaust flange should correct the problem.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your header gaskets. When I installed my longtubes and the paper gaskets that came with it started making a ticking noise, because they they burnt up. People on this forum thought it was a valvetrain tick but it was just the passenger side header gasket. I expected the worst, but it turned out to be not a big deal.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
Check your header gaskets. When I installed my longtubes and the paper gaskets that came with it started making a ticking noise, because they they burnt up. People on this forum thought it was a valvetrain tick but it was just the passenger side header gasket. I expected the worst, but it turned out to be not a big deal.
What I have learn is, never use those gasket that came with header from ebay, buy a felpro gasket for it. Im glad my mechanic knew about this, and went ahead and get a felpro gasket when he did my install.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

http://youtu.be/1IIs-XnzT3I
new video. Im thinking its an exhaust leak...but not sure... thanks for the help guys
Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like an exhaust leak to me but it is still a little hard to make out.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Check the oil for glittery metallic bearing material just for piece of mind. Drain a little into a jar. Has the noise been getting worse? Watch for a change in the normal oil pressure range from before the sound started. Hope it's just an exhaust leak. But the rattle sounds alot like a rod bearing when the motor rpms are coming up from idle. Hope I'm wrong. At 16 through 22 seconds you seem to really be able to hear at off idle

Last edited by 93 LT1 Vette; 05-31-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
Check the oil for glittery metallic bearing material just for piece of mind. Drain a little into a jar. Has the noise been getting worse? Watch for a change in the normal oil pressure range from before the sound started. Hope it's just an exhaust leak. But the rattle sounds alot like a rod bearing when the motor rpms are coming up from idle. Hope I'm wrong. At 16 through 22 seconds you seem to really be able to hear at off idle
It hasnt gotten any worse . Im gonna chec the oil when I change the oil (soon). any one else have some feedback for me Hope it an exhaust leak

Quick Reply: Clickin, Tapping, Knocking? WTH is it