LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need some other opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some other opinions

i have a 94 trans am m6. after my car warms up, when i run it up through the gears it will start to jerk bad from 4k - around 45k the will stop pulling hard, but when the car is cold it pulls like a rapped ape throught all the gears all the way up to red line.. idk if this could be a clutch. my buddy thinks the fly wheels needs resurfaced. but due to temp of the car playing a role in when it acts up im beggining to think its the opti spark. ive seen opti sparks do some wierd stuff. id like to get some other opinions.. thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

this is also my first stick so i dont know a whole lot about clutches
Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Are you running a stock clutch?

If so, I highly doubt this has anything to do with your problem. When a stock/organic clutch gets hot enough, it will actually glaze and slip more, making the ride feel smoother.

If your flywheel was way off balance you could get vibration at higher RPM's, but it would be a constant thing, not just after the car warms up.

I'd say you could probably rule out your clutch and flywheel, and not listen to your friend anymore.

Back to your problem, are you throwing any codes? A stumble at high RPM's could be an ignition problem. My educated guess is that your ICM is getting too hot when the car warms up and is causing that jerk/stumble that youre describing.

If you can't diagnose the exact cause, start by spending money on the less expensive parts before you go replacing the opti. I think the ICM is a good place to start.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

does the car seem to stumble and act like its hitting the rev limiter? im also guessing its a miss fire when hot. like stated above check out the icm not a high failure rate item but that doesnt mean its not it. could be the opti. my first one would do the same when it got hot and eventually got bad enough it wouldnt even start or idle when hot. find a diagnostic tree for the icm and run through it when the problem is occurring and see what you come up with, o and theres no way its the clutch it would be slipping if anything and raising the rpms