LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can a head gasket leak oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can a head gasket leak oil?

I'm trying to track down an oil leak, hell maybe 2 leaks. The engine was assembled and primed about 2 years ago but hasn't been fired until now. It's stock bore, stock crank, forged rods/pistons, GM MLS headgaskets, ARP head studs, stock ported heads, P-1SC at 14lbs. It sure looks like there is oil coming from the head gasket area right around the first 2 cylinders on the driver side. The area between the valve cover and the headers looks clean, so I don't think it's the valve cover gasket.

The oil looks perfect, as does the coolant. The car runs fine, but surges quite a bit and has no top end. It hasn't been tuned yet and currently has stock injectors in it because it won't be tuned for a couple more weeks (with the 60 lb'ers), so I'm thinking it is probably just because it needs a tune.

Can this oil leak be coming from the head gasket? Is that even possible.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No oil should run from the head gasket. Intake and valve cover gasket are possible.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Lol I have the same problem except on the passenger side. I change my rear main, valve covers, intake gasket, oil pan gasket, after I did all this it was still leakin!

Will finaly I took the car to the shop, they check the leak with a special light and glasses and they told me my leak was from a head. Anyways I took my head off and had a really small leak. But if I was you all double check the easy stuff first.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

My stupid honda would leak oil from the head gasket. So it is possible. Mine used to leak out of an oil port. Took 10k miles before it let go.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
My stupid honda would leak oil from the head gasket. So it is possible.
Yes, because a small block Chevy and Honda engine have so much in common...
No oil is transferred via head gasket.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yes, because a small block Chevy and Honda engine have so much in common...
No oil is transferred via head gasket.
They do have one thing in common. The oil has to get from the head to the block and what between them? Thats right the head gasket! I have learned that anything is poss. when it comes to motors.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 mystic ls
They do have one thing in common. The oil has to get from the head to the block and what between them? Thats right the head gasket! I have learned that anything is poss. when it comes to motors.
You should probably revisit what you've learned... I'll give you a hint- Oil valley. Here's another- What one thing does a V engine have that an inline engine has not...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oil is brought to the head via pushrods and then finds it way back to the oilpan through the oil drainback holes in the head. If the head gasket was leaking oil then the only places I think it would be visible would be on the front or the back of the head, and more then likely it would be mixing with the coolant if that was the case. My guess is its either the intake gasket, valve cover or maybe even the timing cover gasket.
On another note if you have been running around with 14 pounds of boost with the stock tune on stock injectors then you might have more serious problems.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You should probably revisit what you've learned... I'll give you a hint- Oil valley. Here's another- What one thing does a V engine have that an inline engine has not...
these things make me chuckle lol............
Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SS14PSI

Can this oil leak be coming from the head gasket? Is that even possible.
While not very common, yes it is possible. It would generally happen near the drainback holes in the corner of the heads if the gasket did not seal properly. The oil is not under pressure, but just seeps out. I've seen it in person. Can happen.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (09-24-2022)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

yep good point.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
While not very common, yes it is possible. It would generally happen near the drainback holes in the corner of the heads if the gasket did not seal properly. The oil is not under pressure, but just seeps out. I've seen it in person. Can happen.
Yup, mine does this. Its a slight weep/sweat mark.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wysemunky
On another note if you have been running around with 14 pounds of boost with the stock tune on stock injectors then you might have more serious problems.
Idling around just to seat the rings and break in the new S60 rear is all. Not too worried about that.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
Thanks Rob, and everyone else. I guess I have a project for next weekend. Well the block and heads were checked by a good machine shop before I put it together and it hasn't gotten hotter than about 230, so I would think the heads are fine. I used GM MLS gaskets, should I buy them again or go with Cometics or Felpros?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go drive the car, and hard. Idling around is NOT the correct way to seat the rings. You can be potentially doing more harm than good.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Go drive the car, and hard. Idling around is NOT the correct way to seat the rings. You can be potentially doing more harm than good.
what he said..........idling is the worst thing for them............i drove mine at moderate throttle between 4000-6000 for 25 minutes to break em in.......then drain the oil and put some fresh stuff in to get rid of any debris/contaminates
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

x2!! wtf your gonna be pushin seals down the road if you dont seat those rings
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Geez I didn't mean that literally. It's hard to get anywhere idling with a 4k stall
The rings are seated and they're fine, I don't think they're the problem.

Now back to the head gaskets please...

Quick Reply: Can a head gasket leak oil?