LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

qestions on Rear mount turbo LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default qestions on Rear mount turbo LT1

how well does this work are there any problems with this set up? and what is the biggest size turbo you can get away with i got a stock motor so i want to run 4-6psi 6psi being the max!! has anyone on here done this and how do you like it?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Confuscious say: Lots of searching will yield great result.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Launching!

^^^ yes all those questions have been covered over and over and it can be quite lenghty so google it and just start reading. as for how big of a turbo can you get away with... as big as you want... a large turbo will put out lots of volume but take longer to spool up causing turbo lag. a small turbo will spool up fast but provide a smaller volume of air. so look that up as well. for a stock motor i would say most would use a t76.

I personally recommend not turbocharging your stock engine. it will be a time bomb and the money spent would be better put towards bolt on mods and maybe a cam.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02

Originally Posted by 95_Z-28_runner
How well does a rear mounted turbo work? Are there any problems with this type of set up? What is the biggest size turbo you can get away with? (I have a stock motor, so I want to run 4-6psi; 6psi being the max!) Lastly, has anyone on here done this, and if so, then how do you like it?
[Above English corrected]

A rear mount is a great way to start in the FI world.

"White Ghost" (below) is quite correct.

Originally Posted by white ghost
Confuscious say: Lots of searching will yield great result.
I agree. Seach on STS or rear mount turbo here, there are lots of build / issue threads.

Originally Posted by 5_LTR_ETR
As for how big of a turbo can you get away with... as big as you want... a large turbo will put out lots of volume but take longer to spool up causing turbo lag. a small turbo will spool up fast but provide a smaller volume of air. so look that up as well. For a stock motor I would say at most use a T76. I personally do not recommend turbocharging your stock engine. It will be a time bomb, and the money spent would be better put towards bolt-on mods and maybe a cam.
"Five Litre Eater" and I disagree.

While I do agree bolt-on mods and a cam are excellent starting points (I use the "LT4 Hot Cam"), a turbo does not require you to push your stock / old / not rebuilt engine into the higher RPMs (i.e. - >6k) to make power.

FYI - My personal "time bomb" has gone about 50K miles boosted with a Meth kit and 11 PSI of boost, but (I've been told that) I'm insane.

Come to the dark side - we have cookies!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Great: what kind of numbers are you seeing at 11lbs? Did you compare performance gain vs lbs of boost(11vs6-8)?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

u also have a 355
Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

It sounds like you are on a budget, and boost isn't a budget friendly power builder. You should build a bottom end or have the money waiting to do so. Rear mounts are cool and they're cheaper to build also. Its funny, but there's now a rear mount kit on ebay for like $1200 (no fuel side or tuning, and fab work required too). You're much better off with longtubes and smaller cam, imo.. If you have a couple extra grand, you can buy some CNC'd heads and make the 380+ whp you would with a stock motor on 6psi. The same money, but the heads and cam motor will live 5x as long or more. Good luck with the car man..
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by great421
FYI - My personal "time bomb" has gone about 50K miles boosted with a Meth kit and 11 PSI of boost, but (I've been told that) I'm insane.
ya i bet that 355 "personal time bomb" even has the factory rings still in it

-and its a forum, not a job interview get over the english.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 PM

Default 93 Lt1 Camero

I have Lt1 with sts rear mount 60mm turbo one of boots came off and was pulling air well I fixed it and started back then it was idling high so I let warm up thinkin it would idle down however it didn’t so I get about half mile up the road and it bucked like another boot came off or air in system I pulled over and everything was still on but every sense then the car won’t idle but about 600 rpms and dies after 20 seconds and it’s hit or miss sometimes it will start and run fine but then it starts acting up when close to fully warm didn’t have issues until boot came off could someone possibly point me in right direction

Quick Reply: qestions on Rear mount turbo LT1