LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aligning k member when reinstalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aligning k member when reinstalling

Hi there

I am reinstalling my engine/ trans/ k member back into my car. I have the body back down on the k member which has the engine and trans. I have 4 of the 6 bolts in the k member most of the way in, 1 at all 4 corners and both studs of both shock towers have nuts on them. The problem I am having is the engine and trans are not straight in the body. The trans is off center of the transmission hump by about a inch or two and is close on the passenger side. I cannot align the transmission cross member. I have the car on jackstands in the front, and on ramps in the rear. Should I jack up the k member and get pressure off the 4 bolts, then try to pry the transmission to get the trans cross member to align ? Or is there another way of doing this. Please let me know what you can advise me on this.

tia

andy schuck

Last edited by andysc; 06-05-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: making clearer
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K member lines up by the pins. If all is good there I suspect you have a motor mount on the block in the wrong holes. That would tweek everything sideways. Double check you are in the right locations. Was it hard to get the through bolt on the motor mount in?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jpack
K member lines up by the pins. If all is good there I suspect you have a motor mount on the block in the wrong holes. That would tweek everything sideways. Double check you are in the right locations. Was it hard to get the through bolt on the motor mount in?
It's damn near impossible if you flip the passenger side mount.

Quick Reply: Aligning k member when reinstalling