LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

It's alive!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default It's alive!

Took a month and a week start to finish, but just back from my test drive. I need some stickier tires! Engine guy told me I could beat on it after running about 20 minutes, so I did. Still haven't seen the shift light at 6400 yet, have to break my habit of shifting around 5800.

When it first ran the rockers were really loud, but now the car sounds normal. I'm guessing they were just getting oiled up for the first few minutes? Valvetrain is now no louder than the last setup. Took a few times for it to finally keep running, but fine now. I took it for about a 45 minute drive once I had a coolant leak sorted out.

Video:
First start.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Get a full video of it now.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good job man! I bet it feels great to get it running.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

very nice man, Love seeing these vids of projects getting finished im sure you can breath a big sigh of releif now!

Just curious which corbeau seats do you have? pretty sure i saw a corbeau logo in there. Im trying to deceide between the FX1 or the forza's, my seats are dead.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Microsuede CR1s. Comfortable, which is important as at least once I year I drive non-stop to PA from FL. I did that trip once in a Forza, never again! Running Schroth 4 pt. harnesses also.

I'd love to get video of it on the road but the battery is shot on my Sony Handycam. Haven't looked into getting it replaced yet, for this video I had it on an extension cord.

It does feel good to have it running again and so I can drive it. Now I need to do my nitrous install, then install the ozite carpet and put the interior back in. Guess I'll be driving around a few weeks with the interior out. Cars make a lot of noise you can't normally hear with factory carpet and interior panels in, I can tell you that after tonight.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

That's pretty sweet, man! It always feels good getting the car running again after being down for a while. Have fun!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing beats getting a car running after it has been down for awhile
Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

Was it a rebuild? if so did you prime the oil before starting? I'm curious if you still need to actually prime the oil after a rebuild even if sufficient assembly lube was used.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camar0corey
It does feel good to have it running again and so I can drive it. Now I need to do my nitrous install, then install the ozite carpet and put the interior back in. Guess I'll be driving around a few weeks with the interior out. Cars make a lot of noise you can't normally hear with factory carpet and interior panels in, I can tell you that after tonight.
heheh yeah your hear allot more noises like sand hitting the wheel wells but it doesn't take much to drown it out with the radio or your exhaust I usually only run around with the front half of my interior and still a hyundai has more road noises than mine.
congrats on getting it going man! must feel great to hear & drive it again!!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by food nd cars
Was it a rebuild? if so did you prime the oil before starting? I'm curious if you still need to actually prime the oil after a rebuild even if sufficient assembly lube was used.
It was a rebuild, and even though he used a lot of assembly lube he still primed the motor before it left his shop.

Yeah noise wise I guess I mean like the throwout bearing rattling is so much louder, and I thought I had taken care of a rubbing brake issue I had with my 12 bolt, not so much.

Speaking of brakes I also did an ABS delete and braided lines during this project, it must take a lot of effort to lock brakes up! Did a few test stops last night, car stops quickly and without the brakes locking up. I did notice I had plenty of nose dive though, does this mean I should adjust the prop. valve to get a little more rear bias? I'm not running a line lock so the front lines are T'ed into the master with the prop valve only going to the rear brakes.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
When it first ran the rockers were really loud, but now the car sounds normal. I'm guessing they were just getting oiled up for the first few minutes?
Hopefully you didn't install your valvetrain components dry? If you did you need to check both the push rod ends and cups on the rockers to make sure they didn't get scored.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

so what exactly was done this time around?

You also went 24x efi huh?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Gratz!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I did the 24x back around Thanksgiving, this time new bearings, rings, went from the hotcam to the 503 and went from stock heads to some that were ported locally. Don't know much about them, as the heads/cam came with a used motor that didn't last very long in another car.

SS RRR there was assembly lube on everything to my knowledge and the motor was primed, at the time the valve covers were off and I poured oil on everything. They are NSA rockers, do they settle or something? Its been no louder now than my last setup with SA Promags.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats.

Quick Reply: It's alive!