LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ghaaaa Optispark!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghaaaa Optispark!!!

So i'm 25 mile from home today when my optispark decides to retire from active duty. I would drive 2 miles then my tach would go crazy and the engine would sputter and die. Then i would swear at it and put it in neutral and coast as far as i could go, pull over for 5 mins then start it up again and wait for the engine to die 2 miles later so i could repeat the process. The ninth time it died was in front of my favorite mechanics shop, so i talked to him and he recommended i use black silicone on both sides of the water pump gasket to prevent leaking on the opti. It died the tenth time as I pulled into my garage at home. I made it!

This is the second time I've been stuck with a dying opti. Two years ago it only died 5 times on the way home from a 15 mile drive. At least i got it home so i can fix it myself. I'm glad it was fine during my 600 mile trip from Albany to Buffalo NY and back last week.

Is it normal to replace these things every 2 years? My water pump doesn't noticeably leak on it and i'm careful not to soak it in the car wash or anything. The first one i replaced at 110,xxx miles with a used OEM one, which i'll now be replacing with another used OEM one with 30,xxx miles (I keep a spare).

Any recommendations? I don't want to deal with this a third time...
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I recommend making the investment in either the EFIConnections 24x system or an LS1 car.

Opti problems must be getting old with you and as fewer people need Opti's, the only source will be cheep imported junk.

If I still had a LT1 car today, it'd have the 24x system in it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^He's right. I, too had my share of the troublesome opti. So I'm finally converting to the EFI24X coil per plug/LS pcm. Just waiting on my stuff from EFI Connection. No more optispark and this LT1 will be spinning to the moon,lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Are you sure it's the opti this time? Maybe the coil or ICM is bad?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Not tryin to thread jack but is there a writeup for the 24X conversion, I have my engine out so I am gonna be investing in it. I tried searching but doing it on my phone I came up with nothing
Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are many factors as to why an opti goes bad. The two that I have had (one on each car) lasted over 500k combined. I just replaced one with a NEW Delphii unit and I expect to get the same out of it.

They dont just go out. When/if you take that one off tear it down and you will see what killed it inside.

I take mine apart and then seal them with "The Right Stuff". I also use loctite on the threads of the rotor button. After doing this, the only potential way the opti can be penetrated is through the connector on top.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bore.me
So i'm 25 mile from home today when my optispark decides to retire from active duty. I would drive 2 miles then my tach would go crazy and the engine would sputter and die. Then i would swear at it and put it in neutral and coast as far as i could go, pull over for 5 mins then start it up again and wait for the engine to die 2 miles later so i could repeat the process. The ninth time it died was in front of my favorite mechanics shop, so i talked to him and he recommended i use black silicone on both sides of the water pump gasket to prevent leaking on the opti. It died the tenth time as I pulled into my garage at home. I made it!

This is the second time I've been stuck with a dying opti. Two years ago it only died 5 times on the way home from a 15 mile drive. At least i got it home so i can fix it myself. I'm glad it was fine during my 600 mile trip from Albany to Buffalo NY and back last week.

Is it normal to replace these things every 2 years? My water pump doesn't noticeably leak on it and i'm careful not to soak it in the car wash or anything. The first one i replaced at 110,xxx miles with a used OEM one, which i'll now be replacing with another used OEM one with 30,xxx miles (I keep a spare).

Any recommendations? I don't want to deal with this a third time...
Do you know what the definition of Insanity is ? doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results... . Stop putting used Optis on your car . Buy a NEW GM or
NEW MSD Opti . Makes sure to use Blue Loctite on the rotor screws as well .
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did i catch that right "used optis". Theres your problem.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drak03
Not tryin to thread jack but is there a writeup for the 24X conversion, I have my engine out so I am gonna be investing in it. I tried searching but doing it on my phone I came up with nothing
Search Efi Connection 24x conversion
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does not sound like an opti problem.

Far as the opti, more often than not the guy working on the car is the real problem. Never had a failure myself or any of the cars I help on.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Do you know what the definition of Insanity is ? doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results... . Stop putting used Optis on your car . Buy a NEW GM or
NEW MSD Opti . Makes sure to use Blue Loctite on the rotor screws as well .
x2 this is definitely not a good idea, used optis. GM and MSD are a bit expensive though. I put a brand new Chandler in mine about 2000 miles ago and it is currently running fine.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

so i talked to him and he recommended i use black silicone on both sides of the water pump gasket to prevent leaking on the opti.
That will do nothing. The gasket surface is on a completely different plain than the opti and it is virtually impossible for coolant to reach the opti from that area. If anything coolant related it leaks from the weephole of the water pump onto the opti and can cause it to malfunction, not necessarily break it.
As stated, this doesn't sound like an opti problem or maybe even ignition related. I would first check your fuel pressure when the car acts up to see what's going on.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Does not sound like an opti problem.

Far as the opti, more often than not the guy working on the car is the real problem. Never had a failure myself or any of the cars I help on.
I'm happy for you and your success.

I'll do some tests to confirm it's the opti but it's showing the exact same symptoms as when the last one went, like an erratic tachometer suggesting an incorrect optical sensor.

I started this thread to explore my options, like getting the EFI 24x system, but i don't know if it is a good idea to invest an ~$800 ignition system into an old LT1 (122k untouched). I won't be doing a rebuild until I'm out of college at least.

When i replaced the 1st opti the general opinion on this site was that an OEM one was better than an Ebay/Chandler unit but i guess more people have those now and maybe the're worth putting on. Before I thought i'd save $300 and take my chances with a used OEM one. Now I'm looking at the Autozone/Cardone or Accel ones.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You aren't saving anything by using a cheap unit that WILL tear up in short order. If you install a delphii/delco unit you should be good to go for at least 100k miles as that is what they are R&R to last for at minimum. If they arent lasting that long then something is happening.... go to ebay and enter delphii optispark and you should see the ones to get.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm happy for you and your success.

I'll do some tests to confirm it's the opti but it's showing the exact same symptoms as when the last one went, like an erratic tachometer suggesting an incorrect optical sensor.

I started this thread to explore my options, like getting the EFI 24x system, but i don't know if it is a good idea to invest an ~$800 ignition system into an old LT1 (122k untouched). I won't be doing a rebuild until I'm out of college at least.

When i replaced the 1st opti the general opinion on this site was that an OEM one was better than an Ebay/Chandler unit but i guess more people have those now and maybe the're worth putting on. Before I thought i'd save $300 and take my chances with a used OEM one. Now I'm looking at the Autozone/Cardone or Accel ones.
I haven't had a single issue (knock on wood) with my Accel opti. IMO, spend the $ on a good new one. You always get what you pay for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ghaaaa Optispark!!!