LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

small base cam+1.7 shaftmounts+tall valves=...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default small base cam+1.7 shaftmounts+tall valves=...

...a tall *** pushrod.

My COMP pushrod length checker was too short . Sucks, since ordering pushrods is the last thing I need for the engine, and I already had a head back on with play-doh on the valve and everything so I could check PTV and measure PR length at the same time. Getting everything setup is not as easy as on a stock engine with the wide *** springs and shaft mount system. For final assembly I will need to pull three springs just to bolt on the heads, since they are so damn wide they block bolts #14 and #1. What a PITA.

I was expecting ~ 7.5"...but it looks like it will be around 8". The pedestal bar is tall as hell, which is where I bet a lot or the extra height is from. I should have researched what length other people with aftermarket heads+shaft mounts were using before I ordered my checking tool.

/vent

Last edited by Puck; 06-09-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Puck. What pushrods are you gonna run?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gregrob
Puck. What pushrods are you gonna run?
Trend 3/8 .135 walled. Toddler Fingers .

Probably overkill for a lot of people, but with a long PR and high spring pressures you can't really have "too much" pushrod.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Never a bad thing to have to buy an extra tool to get the job done. I just bought a nice pushrod length checker from Summit. Mine goes 6.8-7.8. I hope I don't run into the same problem as you, lol. I'm gonna have AFR 227's and Jesel shaft mounts, also a .900" base cam.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joelster
Never a bad thing to have to buy an extra tool to get the job done. I just bought a nice pushrod length checker from Summit. Mine goes 6.8-7.8. I hope I don't run into the same problem as you, lol. I'm gonna have AFR 227's and Jesel shaft mounts, also a .900" base cam.
Honestly I would get a longer one now just in case. Seems most people with AFRs and shaftmounts are running at least a 7.9 PR. Mine looks like it will be right about 8. My COMP one is somethin like 6.7-7.5. I thought with milled heads a a decked block it wouldn't be over 7.5, but I underestimated how much height the shaftmounts add.

Sucks to put everything on hold for a stupid tool. If the local shops don't have any then I have to wait about a week for one to come in.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Puck
Trend 3/8 .135 walled. Toddler Fingers .

Probably overkill for a lot of people, but with a long PR and high spring pressures you can't really have "too much" pushrod.

I called Trend and they said 10 days to make my pushrods and send them. Manton will make them up and ship the same day. Not to mention Terry M is a pushrod WIZARD.

If you run into long wait times with Trend, give Manton a call. The Mantons were less expensive by a good bit, but their quality is insane.

I'm going to run their 5/16 .118 wall.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
10 Second Club

Puck--I ordered my pushrod checker yesterday, it will be at my door today.

EDIT, I live about 200 miles from Summit Racing though, lol. As long as I get my order in by 8pm, it's at my door the next day. This looks to be what you'd need:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-9001/

Last edited by joelster; 06-10-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

wtf?? lol...........what rockers are you using?? also what the hell are you running for springs that they are that big???!!! i have no issues like that once so ever on mine........also thats a huge pushrod......id be careful with that kind of length.......mine wound up being only 7.555 even with the jesel shaft mount system
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
wtf?? lol...........what rockers are you using?? also what the hell are you running for springs that they are that big???!!! i have no issues like that once so ever on mine........also thats a huge pushrod......id be careful with that kind of length.......mine wound up being only 7.555 even with the jesel shaft mount system
DRE 1.7 shaftmounts and Comp dual springs (947 BBC springs IIRC). The length is why I am running 3/8th .135 wall PRs. I will happily sacrifice lobe side weight for stiffness.

Cam has some very aggressive ramp rates and a lot of lift, so will be running ~750lbs open. Only 255* intake 263* exhaust @ 50, but the 20 duration is quite healthy.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

DRE 1.7 shaftmounts and Comp dual springs (947 BBC springs IIRC). The length is why I am running 3/8th .135 wall PRs. I will happily sacrifice lobe side weight for stiffness.

Cam has some very aggressive ramp rates and a lot of lift, so will be running ~750lbs open. Only 255* intake 263* exhaust @ 50, but the 20 duration is quite healthy.
How much on the seat? The CROWER rep told me that small base circle cams don't like over 300 on the seat. What lifters are you running? Who built your cam? I got my cam from lsmeng.com, it's very similar to yours, probably going to go with jesel shafts, and Crower Maximus lifters. I have a set of Comp 888-16's with the extra oiling groove for street use but a few guys on YB told me they were junk. I've never heard of DRE shaft mounts, how much did you pay for them? Are they street friendly or no?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

mine is very similar.........im running a similar push rod with a psi spring with a similar tension..........good luck with it post up some vids!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you get a 4/7 core joelster? Glad to hear LSM had what you needed
Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
Did you get a 4/7 core joelster? Glad to hear LSM had what you needed
Yep!

I made a thread on YB about what I wanted, and every cam company was like, "we don't have the core", "you don't want a 4/7 swap", "why do you need a .900" base?", "it will take 10 weeks", blah, blah. You posted up your picture on here, and a few guys on YB recommended them. I sent them an email, and then called, and they said no problem, should take 2.5-3 weeks. Super cool company to deal with! Although mine is costing me $550, you said yours was $400 iirc.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think mine was 430 total. PM some details on your build. Sounds like race car ****!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Yep!

I made a thread on YB about what I wanted, and every cam company was like, "we don't have the core", "you don't want a 4/7 swap", "why do you need a .900" base?", "it will take 10 weeks", blah, blah. You posted up your picture on here, and a few guys on YB recommended them. I sent them an email, and then called, and they said no problem, should take 2.5-3 weeks. Super cool company to deal with! Although mine is costing me $550, you said yours was $400 iirc.
just IMO comp lifters are junk.......i've heard not too many good things about their SR lifters a while back........idk if they solved it yet but lifters are no place to skimp on a SR valvetrain..........crowers, isky and morel are the way to go........personally I'd never run anything other than morel......i got a set of the lightweight HIPPO morel's in mine and even after two years they were in perfect shape and have been through alot of high rpm abuse....
Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

How much on the seat? The CROWER rep told me that small base circle cams don't like over 300 on the seat. What lifters are you running? Who built your cam? I got my cam from lsmeng.com, it's very similar to yours, probably going to go with jesel shafts, and Crower Maximus lifters. I have a set of Comp 888-16's with the extra oiling groove for street use but a few guys on YB told me they were junk. I've never heard of DRE shaft mounts, how much did you pay for them? Are they street friendly or no?
260# on the seat. The fairly high open numbers are because of all the lift.

Lifters are the new style Endure-X Comp 888s - I've actually heard good about them in cars that see street use. Its the pre-endurex non-pressure fed Comp SR lifters that were failing. These models have different tool steel axles and matched diameter needle bearings for much higher reliability. Lloyd recommended them, and while researching them I couldn't find anything that made me question them. They are not as good as the Morels, but I got a good deal on them for sub-$500. I probably won't be spinning over 7500 so they should be plenty fine...it's just a street car .

LE spec'd my cam based on the flowsheet from my ported AFR 220s.

DRE is an actual OEM, who sells their valvetrain parts to others like COMP. They are very trick machined rockers from billet aluminum bar stock.

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
just IMO comp lifters are junk.......i've heard not too many good things about their SR lifters a while back........idk if they solved it yet but lifters are no place to skimp on a SR valvetrain..........crowers, isky and morel are the way to go........personally I'd never run anything other than morel......i got a set of the lightweight HIPPO morel's in mine and even after two years they were in perfect shape and have been through alot of high rpm abuse....
Yes, the older COMP SR lifters were trash. The new ones though are a new design that is many times better.

Quick Reply: small base cam+1.7 shaftmounts+tall valves=...