LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wiring EWP and How to mount tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring EWP and How to mount tranny cooler

Need a lil help on these before the car goes 100% back together i know the cooler goes in front of the condensor but do you just lean it against it or maybe cut some rubber hose to space it from it???

And the EWP just find something that turns on with the car????

Thanks guys this truly is the last few.steps
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tapped the fuel pump enable from the PCM, I used that to activate a relay that carried the real current to the EWP. Put a 20 amp fuse in the positive line as close to the power source as you can.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tranny cooler I got came with zip ties that go into radiators and foam pads to insulate/cushion the stoppers on each side.

As far as the EWP, I wired the relay to the injector fuse in the fuse box. Pulled the power supply from the battery junction on the strut tower and ground it in front of the battery on the radiator support.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I've always been curious about the EWP...is there that much of a power gain? I understand the benefits, but I think I trust the motor to spin the water pump more than I do electronic wiring.

Has anyone had any failures with EWP's?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jesup16
I've always been curious about the EWP...is there that much of a power gain? I understand the benefits, but I think I trust the motor to spin the water pump more than I do electronic wiring.

7-10whp reported.

and yes, failures happen with ALL water pumps.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

From what I remember there is only 2 wires coming off the pump. Not 100% sure im not at the house
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lawhead
From what I remember there is only 2 wires coming off the pump. Not 100% sure im not at the house
Yes, lead and ground.

To wire it in correctly/safely you need to wire in a relay.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Take it there will be another wire in there some where to wire the relay in
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

My Meziere EWP just came in yesterday, but I'm not close to installing it yet. It's definitely just 2 wires, but I purchased the painless wiring relay kit with mine to make things easier (I hope). You can get the same results a lot cheaper from autozone by making you're own, but I'm not too good with wiring beyond the basics, so it was worth $35 to me.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/electr...r-pump-wiring/
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

well i just put a water pump in mine about 2k miles ago...maybe I'll just wait a little while.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

idk if it really does gain anything if it is its minimal <5rwhp id say...........my main function is it can cool the car with out it running........i can cool from 190* down to 160* in about 2 minutes with the car off and the pump and fans running......

as for wiring stay away from the fuel pump lead out of the pcm the pcm will not react well to that kind of current draw on the sinking input........just find a switched 12V source in the car and hook up the coil side of the relay to that......
Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Im terrible when it comes to wiring diagrams Ill have my uncle come put a switch in it. So I can turn it on when I get in the car
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Im terrible when it comes to wiring diagrams Ill have my uncle come put a switch in it. So I can turn it on when I get in the car
i would reccomend not doing that dude.........if u forget to flip the switch on u have an issue............just find a switched 12v source under the dash and ur good to go
Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
idk if it really does gain anything if it is its minimal <5rwhp id say...........my main function is it can cool the car with out it running........i can cool from 190* down to 160* in about 2 minutes with the car off and the pump and fans running......

as for wiring stay away from the fuel pump lead out of the pcm the pcm will not react well to that kind of current draw on the sinking input........just find a switched 12V source in the car and hook up the coil side of the relay to that......
All correct, I don't draw any power from the PCM thou.
I'm holding the two wires from the water pump in my hand and the PCM wire is on top of my thumb. The relay I have is right below my hand.

I've had a Meziere, CSR and a JEGS. The only one that has failed on me was the CSR. The shaft seal on it was junk and it leaked into the motor side and blew it up. The meziere is the best built I have seen so far, but it is also the longest. It also has the best weather pack connector included as well.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

The EWP draws current from the battery that the alternator must replace. The main difference is the EWP always runs at the same speed and load once the thermostat opens, and the regular pump speed varies with engine RPM. Most standard pumps are capable of moving a lot more water at high RPM.

When they advertise the EWP's they always point out they don't draw power from the engine, not true if you have a regular electrical system. The alternator is not 100% efficient and the electric motor isn't either, so about 25% of the engines power is wasted to electrically power the pump at the same load. If you have a total loss system, no engine power is used as there is no alternator.

We have a 73 Camaro drag car with a high dollar pump that died twice in one season. The first time it was just a seal and we replaced it, the second time the motor burned to a crisp.

Al 95 Z28 apart waiting for free time.

Quick Reply: Wiring EWP and How to mount tranny cooler