LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 experts -- have a miss.. local shop cannot figure out

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default LT1 experts -- have a miss.. local shop cannot figure out

I have a 95 supercharged 383 lt1 camaro. I lately had been having a miss like bad plug wires. I took the opti off the car which was a msd I notice the rotor was almost off... So I replaced the whole unit with a factory oem dealership opti - ran alittle better but there was still a miss. replace the coil, plug wires, all the plugs, and a couple sensors and it's still running pretty horrible.. My local performance shop that deals with lt1's did a bunch of test on the fuel, etc,etc and a compression check which was good. But they said it could still be a broken piston ring or a bad valve. We have no clue what the problem with the car is.. They did bypass my crane ignition box to the factory and it does run alittle better.... is there anything else I should check for??? could the opti be bad --- even tho its new I still heard of them going bad? I hate to tear the motor down and find nothing wrong...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the ICM?

Look for cracks in the opti harness?

Coil?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is that you don't have an Ai h/c package on it, they are the solution, duh
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say runs better.with crane unplugged what's diffrent and what's the.same if anything? Does it only miss on the top end...bottom.mid? Does it do it the entire time you under load? Need more info
Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
When you say runs better.with crane unplugged what's diffrent and what's the.same if anything? Does it only miss on the top end...bottom.mid? Does it do it the entire time you under load? Need more info
It will start missing over 2k rpm all the way up... It seems to run smoother less of miss with the crane ignition unplugged. The shop said it feels like the car lost it's tune...only thing I didnt change electrical is the icm. Motor always ran hot... like 209 with fans on,etc,etc. If u get on it -- backfire out the exhuast.. We just hate to tear down the motor for a guess. cause there thinking a broken pistons ring or valve. But compression test they did was perfect all way around..
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well if they did a compression test and it was good then that should rule out rings, valves ect. If you say without the box its a little better then that tells me with the weaker spark it is softening the miss, Injector / fuel related?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree if cylinder test came back good and the dry/wet test then why would you even think of tearing it down?

What size injectors/fuel pump? data logg????

im thinking fuel related as well
Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you put a noid light on it yet?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the shop said even the compression test was good in each cylinder that doesn't mean it still could be bad.. That's what he told me... We were getting code 18- which was fuel injector circuit for a long time... and dtc 55 fuel lean monitior code.... well before the miss. we tested the fuel injectors getting power and all... Only thing really left to do is get them tested to see if maybee one is clogged.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And the data log says????????

Quick Reply: LT1 experts -- have a miss.. local shop cannot figure out