LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Summit Racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit Racing seats

Ive searched and seen a few people use these with stock seat brackets but have not found how hard/or worth it is to make them work. Has anyone did a writeup on this? Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Remove the stock seat.
2. Unbolt the stock brackets from the stock seats
3. Bolt bracket to existing holes in Summit seat.
4. Install in car using existing mounting locations.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok didnt know it was that easy thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 PM
-M-

its not that easy if the aftermarket seats dont have the same mounting locations on the seat bottom as the factory ones.

Check with Summit and see if they require aftermarket seat brackets. usually they have it listed in the item description... if not give them a ring and see whats required.

if the aftermarket seats have different mounting holes you might be able to escape with making plates to mount from the stock bracket to the summit seat, or you might need a whole new bracket itself.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

I have ProCar drivers seat right now (wasn't commited enough to buy both) I bought a manual drivers side bracket and some 3/16" x 1" wide steel and redrilled the mounting points. I also removed the tilt that the stock bracket had to sit the seat a little bit lower. I think I'm going to bit the bullet and order a set of 6LE seats, but I don't know yet, some S2000 seats would be badass if I could find a decent deal.

I don't have any pics, but it took me 3 or 4 different attempts to get the seat to sit how I liked it. And its still not 100% perfect, but its acceptable.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll update this thread with what i has to do with pics to make them work.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Summit seats before in a 1995 Trans-Am (around 2005). I think it was actually fairly easy to get them to mount to the factory rails as they were the same width.

I'm FAIRLY sure that either the back or the front bolted right in and then I just drilled holes for the other end. Regardless, the fact they were the same width is what makes it hellaeasy compared to others (that's why we had the Yonakas modified the same way).

Now, having had the seats, here's the issues I faced...

1) On factory rails you sit REALLY high (seat hits t-top when tilted forward). The factory rails are made to recess into the seat frame sligthly. These seats don't have the recession AND you end up actually using a spacer (because of the way the rails bow) on one of the bolts (I think the one you drilled) of about 3/4".

So between the rail not recessing and adding the spacer you are sitting a solid 1-2" which will feel weird (you are looking down on the cluster now, etc..).

2) The material they are made of is just garbage. It feels like your sitting in a kid's fake rubber baseball glove...

I sold the car shortly after.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responce! Ur three guage holder worked out perfect by the way and looks awsome. I guess ill just rock the stock seats untill i can get a better seat. Just trying to put my car on a diet
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A member of our club has these seats and can't fit your fist between the t top and top of seat
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ALH442
A member of our club has these seats and can't fit your fist between the t top and top of seat
Yes this is true. With the ProCar seats that I have, I removed almost everything that I could and the seat sits about 1" higher than the stock seat did. But its hard to judge how it feels when I can't drive the car. But the racing seats feel cheap and they are stiff. When I drive it in a few weeks I'll let you know how I like the seat, but I'm already against it so I may be a little bias
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any aftermarket seats that fit well and look good in our cars for a reasonable price?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I just picked up a corbeau fx1 pro that im planning on using. Im sure ill need to buy the corbeau seat brackets as well but thats one reason i went with the corbeau seats over others, because atleast corbeau offers the seat brackets! That and its a fiberlgass fixed back seat that weighs in at 13lbs lol. My stock seats are disgusting. This seat is just pure badass. Trying to figure out what to do for the passenger side.

It really depends what your looking for in a seat. Fixed back vs reclinable. Corbeau Forza II seats are under 500 a pair. It also depends what you call reasonable as far as price goes.

Quick Reply: Summit Racing seats