LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Start up / Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up / Idle Problem

Soooo my car started doing this thing where every other time I start it, it idles for a couple seconds and then slowly dies. Then I'll wait a few seconds and restart it and it'll fire right up and run fine. Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is already warm or cold, I haven't noticed any pattern to it, and no CEL's either. It's been having this problem for the past few days and seems to be getting more frequent now.

I know I won't be able to solve the problem unless I work on the car myself but I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction-- spark or fuel problem?

My fuel systems totally stock, right down to the injectors. Car has 120,000 miles and is probably due for some Seafoam.

My ignition system is also pretty much stock with the exception of an MSD coilpack, and I also spaced the ICM out away from the head. I know my spark plug wires need to be replaced, they look pretty old, but I doubt they're whats causing the problem. I've owned the car since 85,000 miles and as far as I know, its on the original Opti.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

I'll add that to the to-do list. I've never had to check fuel pressure on a car so I've gotta ask a stupid question. I'm guessing I can get an analog meter from Autozone and tap off of the fuel system somewhere under the hood right?

Although when the car starts to sputter and eventually shut off, it stinks of gasoline for a few seconds, so I don't think its a fuel problem, but I will take your advice and check anyways. Also, not that its important but I changed the fuel filter a couple years ago, installed a new AC Delco filter.

Also on the list is Seafoam, new spark plugs, and possibly swap the old coilpack back in. I've had a set of NGK TR55's sitting on my desk for a couple year now, I just haven't had the patience to put them in lol.

Won't have a chance to touch the car till Sunday, will post results.

Quick Reply: Start up / Idle Problem