LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pulling my hair out car keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling my hair out car keeps dying

Its been a while since I had my bird running, the opti went out on it, so I replaced the opti car runs great, but now it will shut down after getting into closed loop it will die, then start. I hooked it up to freescan, I got the 41 code, ignition control circuit open, 42 ignition control circuit grounded or shorted, I also got the 16 & 36 code, and 51 pcm eprom error, now 46 fuel enable failure, but I don't know what this means. I'm going to check over everything in the morning to make sure it is all hooked up right, I am trying to get peoples opinions on what to check first if everything is hooked up right.

Could it be the pcm? I started tuning the car last year, and I never lost communication while uploading the tune, but it seemed to do this after I uploaded a tune, then it started going kinda haywire, so I don't know.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Icm maybe?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

Icm was replaced less than a year ago, but I know that doesn't mean that's not it, and will test it tomorrow, would it throw all those codes though?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Clear the codes, and try to run it. After it dies, re-check the codes. Its a good possibility that the 16 and 36 were from when the opti crapped, if you didnt clear them first.

Check the opti harness too, just in case.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

I had the battery out for 8 months, lol, the codes were cleared, it wouldn't keep throwing them consistantly, I was clear & checking for about an hour the opti codes showed up a few times. The opti harness is brand new from efi connections.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had code 42 come up several times and my car would shut of while driving. I found the problem to be the wiring to the ignition module. The wires were broken and when I soldered them that fixed the problem. So check the connector and wiring from the module to the computer.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Ok I will check that also, thanks. Did you get any other codes when that happened?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had this issue and would die at idle from time to time...it turned out to be a tuning issue; my car got a dyno tune while it has fouled plugs at the time (which I didn't know at the time) and only made 240 RWHP....weeks later I had to get the PCM re-tuned once the motor was in proper running condition with good plugs and the dyno tuner said my fuel maps were WAY off....LOL dude had to re-do the tune on my car but it fixed the dying issue and made 311 RWHP.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idformula

Could it be the pcm? I started tuning the car last year, and I never lost communication while uploading the tune, but it seemed to do this after I uploaded a tune, then it started going kinda haywire, so I don't know.
Yes, it's probably your PCM since you mention you messed with the tune, either get a mail order tune or get a dyno tune from somebody that knows what their doing.