LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Passed Test #1....I dont hear any High RPM Breakup!!!! VIDEO

Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Passed Test #1....I dont hear any High RPM Breakup!!!! VIDEO

Well after another round of fixes i took the car for a ride.........seems really good.......runs well seems to not stumble at idle any more or anything.........i made a pull with the car from about 40mph to 140 or so with the full exhaust on the car and a bit lower timing and it ran really good.........this is through a 3" Y pipe and with only 30* of timing............hopefully it will run this well with the exhaust off too...........hoping i got the high rpm breakup finally fixed!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgw7S84gFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Z0DxihetI

Last edited by quik95lt1; 06-23-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds clean up high Mike! Good job!

I have spun mine up to 8200 rpms numerous times. Current setup I shift at 7600.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Sounds clean up high Mike! Good job!

I have spun mine up to 8200 rpms numerous times. Current setup I shift at 7600.
thanks tony!!

yea im hoping its finally fixed..........real test is with the exhaust off.......thing gains about 75rwhp with the exhaust open........yea mines the same i had the shift light at 7850 on these pulls but with the exhaust off it pulled to 8200 last year.......dont see why it wouldn't this year
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

just curious, how much does your e.t. pick by running the gears out that far? compared to shifting 500 or so rpm less. it looks like it pulls the whole way, but i wondered how much difference it makes.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nickp
just curious, how much does your e.t. pick by running the gears out that far? compared to shifting 500 or so rpm less. it looks like it pulls the whole way, but i wondered how much difference it makes.
it does slow down short shifting.......with the exhaust on it it actually lowers my rpm range........when i pull the exhaust it pulls to 8000 very strong......shifting lower will loose me a couple of tenths.....i've tried it
Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what was this round of fixes? if you don't mind...
Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
X2
Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Launching!

cool videos
Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

X3!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VTeC secret probably.....
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
thanks tony!!

yea im hoping its finally fixed..........real test is with the exhaust off.......thing gains about 75rwhp with the exhaust open........yea mines the same i had the shift light at 7850 on these pulls but with the exhaust off it pulled to 8200 last year.......dont see why it wouldn't this year
Motor sounds incredible and pulls hard. This is tremedous info on shift points and your power band up top. Especially with the exhaust un-corked. What size are your LT headers? PM is fine if that work better. I hope to have my set-up on the rollers in a few weeks. I will definitely make some pulls now with the cut-outs open after hearing this.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great Mike! It's always nice to overcome obstacles with these things... LOL.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

sorry guys i was quite busy yesterday...........anyway hers what i did this time around to try and fix the issues............as far as i know it seems fixed.......ive yet to run it with just the race mufflers but it seems damn good with the full exhaust on.....so i have my hopes..

1. Car has a brand new ignition coil (dont think this was the issue however)
2. Brand new cap and rotor.......i drilled the old cap and watched the contacts and re-phased the cap and rotor with the engine running.....the phasing was off a tad.....and the old cap didn't look too good due to the slightly off phasing
3. I drilled the new cap and vented it using engine vacuum and a fresh air hose to the front of the engine bay (even with my whopping 5inhg of vacuum lol) this should keep fresh air cycling through the cap at all times which will keep the static charge of the air down and hopefully eliminate or drastically reduce the possibility of cross sparking inside the dizzy
4. I unplugged my cam sensor and grounded all un-used inputs on the XFI ignition triggering circuits......so no input will be able to be falsely triggered by EMI....
...... i did pick up evidence of falsely triggered inputs on my data log from the xfi......see this post here........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...check-out.html

5. I ran a new sheilded twisted conductor wire to the crank trigger vs. the standard TL wire i had going to it........the sheild and inner spare conductor are grounded to the battery -.....
6. I removed all plug wires and shortened them as much as possible.......also re-routed all of them and got them as far as possible away from any signal wires and each other....again to avoid emi
7. I installed a noise filter on the power lead to the MSD box again in an attempt to reduce any noise being back fed through the power lines into the system of the car by the MSD 7AL Box

i got a good feeling that this has solved the problem...........after seeign the false triggering of the xfi and the evidence of a large emi/rfi issue in the xfi datalog i took all these steps to reduce these problems.......the car seems to be running muchh better........idling better.......sounds better.......and no more low rpm stubles espically at idle.........the rain has been killing me lately but this weekend im GOING racing somewhere regardless if I have to drive down to Atco or E-town.........
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2NASSTY
Motor sounds incredible and pulls hard. This is tremedous info on shift points and your power band up top. Especially with the exhaust un-corked. What size are your LT headers? PM is fine if that work better. I hope to have my set-up on the rollers in a few weeks. I will definitely make some pulls now with the cut-outs open after hearing this.
I had a smaller 1 3/4 to 3" hooker super comp on it last year but this year i stepped up to a hedman 1 7/8 to 3.5" header.......i can feel the car is stronger even with the exhaust on........it should hopefully pull really well with the exhaust off and after i get the open exhaust tune dialed in.......i may also build a 3.5" x pipe for it to try and get some extra mid range out of it to help get it out of the hole and 330' better......its got plenty of top end grunt......i can sacrafice a bit for midrange 6000rpm torque to get the et down........
Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
8 Second Club

5. I ran a new sheilded twisted conductor wire to the crank trigger vs. the standard TL wire i had going to it........the sheild and inner spare conductor are grounded to the battery -.....

7. I installed a noise filter on the power lead to the MSD box again in an attempt to reduce any noise being back fed through the power lines into the system of the car by the MSD 7AL Box
Do you have any pictures of how you did this, when I used to work on the alq-99 system in the military, I always had to look out for interference from my RF channels.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fex77k
Do you have any pictures of how you did this, when I used to work on the alq-99 system in the military, I always had to look out for interference from my RF channels.
what do you want pics of just the cable??? i can snap some when i get home tonight

im an electrical engineer for a robotics company we deal with issues like this all the time......
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM
8 Second Club

what do you want pics of just the cable??? i can snap some when i get home tonight

im an electrical engineer for a robotics company we deal with issues like this all the time......
I just want to see how you did the cable. I'm doing a ME major right now, did some avionic in the service. Cross talk and interference was a majority of what I had to work on with RF.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

I just want to see how you did the cable. I'm doing a ME major right now, did some avionic in the service. Cross talk and interference was a majority of what I had to work on with RF.
cool!!! good luck with it man!!! yea ill snap some pics tonight......its apretty simple concept.......

how bout that other thread with the h-beam vs i-beam crap? unbleviable the crap people will come up with lol
Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 PM
8 Second Club

cool!!! good luck with it man!!! yea ill snap some pics tonight......its apretty simple concept.......

how bout that other thread with the h-beam vs i-beam crap? unbleviable the crap people will come up with lol
It's not as bad as "use Big F'in hammer" to remove the crank pulley.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

It's not as bad as "use Big F'in hammer" to remove the crank pulley.
right!!!?? its insane the severe amount of recicliouls stuff on this forum lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passed Test #1....I dont hear any High RPM Breakup!!!! VIDEO