LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I beam vs H beam rods....discuss

Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question I beam vs H beam rods....discuss

So I'll admit it; I don't know **** about building a bottom end for a LT1 and need somebody to school me some on what parts are best for the money for a mild street/strip 400 RWHP (450HP) LT1. I know forged parts are better than cast but; What's the difference in strength/HP rating for I beam vs H beam connecting rods? H is bigger/better right? Is it the connecting rod themselves or the bolts that usually let go first? I'm definitely going with forged pistons and ether the stock crank or a forged 383 crank regardless of what rods. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

For the power levels you want it doesn't matter what style rod you go with. I have heard through a couple of different machinists that because of today's technorogy regarding rod design, I-beam rods can be just as strong as h-beam.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that power level the stock rods and crank should be fine. I would rebuild with the stock parts and add SRP forged pistons and ARP hardware, thats what I would do if mine lets go. Its a good strong bottom end for people on a budget in the 400rwhp range. Id like to know what let go on your motor, the usuall suspect seems to be the rod bolts, they're said to be the weakest point in the stock bottom end.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
For the power levels you want it doesn't matter what style rod you go with. I have heard through a couple of different machinists that because of today's technorogy regarding rod design, I-beam rods can be just as strong as h-beam.
Yup, and I-beams are lighter and have better clearance if you're building a stroker motor.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of misinformation in here. Call callies, their h beams are the lightest and the weight goes up from there with the strength. I beams being the strongest, and heaviest.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
For that power level the stock rods and crank should be fine. I would rebuild with the stock parts and add SRP forged pistons and ARP hardware, thats what I would do if mine lets go. Its a good strong bottom end for people on a budget in the 400rwhp range. Id like to know what let go on your motor, the usuall suspect seems to be the rod bolts, they're said to be the weakest point in the stock bottom end.
sorry to hijack. while i have my pan off, would it be worth putting in arp bolts? or are rod bolts alot bigger job than i think it would be?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I have heard through a couple of different machinists that because of today's technorogy regarding rod design, I-beam rods can be just as strong as h-beam.
Lol WTF
Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I really dont know where in the hell you guys get your information. But let me spell this out.

H beams - Strong - Lightest
H/I beams - Stronger - Heavier
I beams - Strongest - Heaviest

This is in regard to Compstar products but thats the way it should be. All this "I beams can be as strong as H beams" and "I beams are the lightest"...... a little misinformed.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregrob
I really dont know where in the hell you guys get your information. But let me spell this out.

This is in regard to Compstar products but thats the way it should be. All this "I beams can be as strong as H beams" and "I beams are the lightest"...... a little misinformed.
Hmmm, I stand corrected. However, I thought with other manufacturers the reverse was true. But, with you're stated facts SS RRR was right, the I=beams are just a strong.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do you mean "just as strong"? LOL

That's like saying tool steel is "just as strong as plastic"....

I beams have always been designed to be stronger than H beam.

I guess somewhere in internet land someone got things confused and the concensus was H beams were stronger but heavier???

Every entry level rod I've seen is going to be an H beam, and the max effort type of rods are I beam.

A lot of people think I beams are lighter too, but usually not the case, at least when comparing apples to apples. If you compare a cheap Scat H beam rod to an Oliver I beam. Well of course the oliver may be lighter as a function of its design. But that's not really apples to apples.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5_LTR_ETR
sorry to hijack. while i have my pan off, would it be worth putting in arp bolts? or are rod bolts alot bigger job than i think it would be?
Yes, it is a bigger job than it sounds. You really should have the rods resized when changing rod bolts. Some say they add them without resizing but it is not recommended, you run the risk of spinning a bearing if you don't.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

not completely accurate.............

an H beam design however does require more material to build vs. an I beam design there fore H beam weights of comparable rods are usually heavier than I beam designs.........the I beam is also a stronger design by way of compression and deflection......the h beam is a cheaper easier rod to manufactuer and is quite strong for the design/price factor that it has.......

most every high rpm high horsepower motor you will see will be running some type of parabolic I beam rod such as the Oliver, Crower, Lentz Billets........when i built my shortblock this was one of the main reasons I went with an Oliver Parabolic I beam design........the strength vs. weight ratio.......another issue with H Beams is the small end of the rod.....i remember a while back seeing a FEA analysis from Oliver on H-Beams vs. I beams......it showed where the small end design on the H-beam has a very high compression stress point localized to a small area..........the I beam has a much more spread out load point down at the end of the rod......

again this is what i've seen and learned more from an engineering stand point versus a discussion and opinion stand point........there is much more to connecting rods that i wont get into to confuse this thread however..........from an engineering stand point an H Beam design will always requrie more material than an I beam design........
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

One would think so by simply looking at them. However go look at callies site. H beams are the lightest and the weights go up from there. Its not speculation, its fact.

I agree that there's a LOT to it and what's best depends on the application. One type can deal with tensile load (RPMS) better, while the other can deal with compressive loads better (cylinder pressure ) .
Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With regards to Lunati and Eagle. For a 6 inch rod it is the opposite.

Eagle I=595g
Eagle H=650g

Lunati I=635g
Lunati H=675g
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
8 Second Club

Every BME Aluminum rod I have seen has been a variation of an I-beam. They are not only strong but light as well. So strong in fact, that it took a Crowler crank and beat stress fractures into the fillets of the crank. The crank was something similar to this Crower UL95133.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One would think so by simply looking at them. However go look at callies site. H beams are the lightest and the weights go up from there. Its not speculation, its fact.

I agree that there's a LOT to it and what's best depends on the application. One type can deal with tensile load (RPMS) better, while the other can deal with compressive loads better (cylinder pressure ) .
not really greg.......its an engineering concept......like i said comparable rods strength vs. weight wise the I beams are a lighter stronger design.....the callies are one case.......however as stated above the H beams are not lighter in 90% of cases.......i can guarantee you you will not find an H Beam that will weighh in less than my olivers.....
Old 06-25-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm just confused on which is which now lol
Old 07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I too could get confused in here.

I'm rebuilding a very low mileage stock 4-bolt main motor. Plans of AI H/C 400rwhp area, so nothing extravegant. Plans of staying below 6800rpm also. I have no cylinder wear at the tops of my cylinders so I'm not planning on replacing pistons(measurements may change plans). However, I do want to address the weaklink rod bolt issue. Which is what the OP was asking about. I have read some negative issues about stock rods getting larger arp bolts. This was my plan for a while.

How about some intelligence discussed about forged 5.7in., SCAT, EAGLE, COMPSTAR H-beam, I-beam rods with 7/16 rod bolt.

Like,
) the negative issues of the stock rods with the replacment bolts.
)Is the Scat/Eagle rods a sufficient replacement?
)Is the compstar the right one?

Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I beam vs H beam rods....discuss