LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP!!! Coolant Fan Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Coolant Fan Problems!!!

I am no wiring guru by ANY means so I need help here because I can not find an answer that tells me anything. I have looked at wiring diagrams and all but I cant figure this out...

The Issue:

My cooling fans do not turn on at all. I have an SLP Fan Switch but when I hit the switch they DO NOT come on. My tune is set up for my fans to turn on at 180/190 degrees but when driving my temp gets to 210 when sitting still...cools off when I get moving again. I get out and pop the hood and at 210 the fans are not on. The coolant temp gauge works and according to my laptop it is accurate.

What I have done:

According to what I have read I have began diagnosing what it could be. I get power to the fan fuse.

I get power to the #1 socket of the Coolant Fan #1 and #2 Relays at all times. I DO NOT get power to the #1 socket of the Coolant Fan #3 Relay at all. With the key on I am SUPPOSED to get power to the #5 sockets however I do not get power to them with the key on for ANY of the sockets.

Anyone know what would cause this and where I need to look? I am horrible with wiring...Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the ground wire that is right on the drivers side frame rail. Mine was broken off and none of my fans would come on and it would blow the 10A fuse every time. The relays that route the power for the electric fans are on the fuseable links. They are always hot.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a picture of the wire? The ground wire that goes from the coil stud to the frame rail?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich2279
Have a picture of the wire? The ground wire that goes from the coil stud to the frame rail?
No it comes from the wire bundle right under the ABS box and drops down out of the bundle and bolts to the frame rail. If that is broke then your fans will never turn on since the relays will have a hard time without that ground.