LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 lt1 22lbs injectors to 24lbs later lt1 injector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 lt1 22lbs injectors to 24lbs later lt1 injector?

Can I switch my 93 z28 injectors ( came with 22lbs stock ) to a later 24lbs injector from a fbody? I wasnt sure because the ecm to pcm difference and if it is able to switch is it worth doing? ( i might need new injectors either way )
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They will fit the rails yes, but you will have to have the PCM reprogrammed or else you will run marginally rich since the 94+ injectors flow more at the same pressure.

Why do you think you need new injectors?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
They will fit the rails yes, but you will have to have the PCM reprogrammed or else you will run marginally rich since the 94+ injectors flow more at the same pressure.

Why do you think you need new injectors?

well when i start it cold its cranks right up( sitting over night ) if i drive it for 30mins or longer or just when its warm you can let it sit for about an hour, it doesnt want to start. i really started noticing it in the staging lanes lat week but it does it all the time. i put a tester on there and when you turn the jey on its at 41 lbs but when you turn it off you see the pressure is slowing bleeding off, takes about 30-45 mins to go to 0lbs and then its hard to start. it seems just like a flooded carbed car. its trying but cant do it at first and just cranks for like 5 seconds.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM

you really think a tune will be necessary with just stock 24lb injectors?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yes any increase in injector size requires calibrating
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 93z28ltfun
well when i start it cold its cranks right up( sitting over night ) if i drive it for 30mins or longer or just when its warm you can let it sit for about an hour, it doesnt want to start. i really started noticing it in the staging lanes lat week but it does it all the time. i put a tester on there and when you turn the jey on its at 41 lbs but when you turn it off you see the pressure is slowing bleeding off, takes about 30-45 mins to go to 0lbs and then its hard to start. it seems just like a flooded carbed car. its trying but cant do it at first and just cranks for like 5 seconds.
Doesn't really sound like a fueling problem... Sounds like something doesn't like heat. Like the ICM. You didn't say, but have you seen the SES light come on at all lately?

Also, the gradual bleed-down of fuel pressure is normal. It won't stay at 41-45psi after the key is turned off.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Doesn't really sound like a fueling problem... Sounds like something doesn't like heat. Like the ICM. You didn't say, but have you seen the SES light come on at all lately?

Also, the gradual bleed-down of fuel pressure is normal. It won't stay at 41-45psi after the key is turned off.

nope, just when you turn the key on it comes on for whatever time with the rest of them. i checked the injectors and they didnt seem like they were leaking. im kinda stumped
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't hurt to take the ICM to Autozone and have them test it 4-5 times in a row (they have a small machine to test modules). The idea is to get it warm enough to see a failure. Also, if you end up replacing it or if it's ok, you might want to space it off the head using this mod:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ICM_cooling

and see if it makes a difference. I also changed the thermal grease that goes between the plates and the ICM for better heatr dissipation. I used computer heatsink grease Dow-Corning formula 440 or similar, thicker consistency, or even the silver stuff. Dielectric grease is not what you want, btw. you're going for heat dissipation... This may not be your problem at all, but it's worth cheking off the list of things your LT1 likes.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Can't hurt to take the ICM to Autozone and have them test it 4-5 times in a row (they have a small machine to test modules). The idea is to get it warm enough to see a failure. Also, if you end up replacing it or if it's ok, you might want to space it off the head using this mod:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ICM_cooling

and see if it makes a difference. I also changed the thermal grease that goes between the plates and the ICM for better heatr dissipation. I used computer heatsink grease Dow-Corning formula 440 or similar, thicker consistency, or even the silver stuff. Dielectric grease is not what you want, btw. you're going for heat dissipation... This may not be your problem at all, but it's worth cheking off the list of things your LT1 likes.

sounds like a start. i give it a try, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 93 lt1 22lbs injectors to 24lbs later lt1 injector?