LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AC compressor issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor issue

well i live in florida and absolutely HATE the heat, so i kind of need it, so just taking the compressor and the accesories out isnt an option. ive ran dye through the system, and the compressor itself is leaking causing me to have a total lack of cold air. i took it to a shop and got a quote, its like 445 for the kit, 722 total including labor... SO, i want to know if this job is possible to do it in your garage. i know itll take about 3-5 hours.

or is there any simple fixes i can get to keep the AC cold till i move in the next month or so?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Is your whole system working? Have you charged it recently? Flush your cooling system? Is your air temp selector working(switching gate)?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I replaced my own AC compressor. It is very doable and not very difficult.

But there is a catch. You don't just fill the system...

First of all, if your old compressor is giving up the ghost, it may have littered your system with metal shavings, etc. You'd want to change out your expansion valve. You'd also want to change your accumulator since your system is going to be open to the air, since it will absorb moisture.

Then, you need to pull vacuum on the whole system to make sure you get out all the air/moisture, THEN you need to fill the whole system and make sure to use a proper pressure gauge set that can measure pressure on both the high and low side.

I did all of this myself but I didn't replace the expansion valve and had to end up doing it again later, and getting the proper gauges and vacuum pump and such wasn't worth it in the end.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by white ghost
Is your whole system working? Have you charged it recently? Flush your cooling system? Is your air temp selector working(switching gate)?
my system works, air blows through the vents, i did get it charged and flushed, the gauges work, well turn, and when it did work the total of 5 hrs it did it worked excellent
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I replaced my own AC compressor. It is very doable and not very difficult.

But there is a catch. You don't just fill the system...

First of all, if your old compressor is giving up the ghost, it may have littered your system with metal shavings, etc. You'd want to change out your expansion valve. You'd also want to change your accumulator since your system is going to be open to the air, since it will absorb moisture.

Then, you need to pull vacuum on the whole system to make sure you get out all the air/moisture, THEN you need to fill the whole system and make sure to use a proper pressure gauge set that can measure pressure on both the high and low side.

I did all of this myself but I didn't replace the expansion valve and had to end up doing it again later, and getting the proper gauges and vacuum pump and such wasn't worth it in the end.
so where do i get the gauges and such?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Harbor freight. Or Autozone actually. They aren't super expensive but it adds up. You also need a vacuum pump, that is the more pricey item. You can get one that runs off of a shop air compressor (like an air tool), but that doesn't pull as much vacuum as what the pros use. We were only able to get like 25 inches. You really want to pull like 30-40 from what I've heard.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Teching In

well im going to call around tomorrow to different shops and stuff see what they will charge for the work, may also call where i got the car maybe they can give me a hook up, if not im def going to consider doing it myself, cant stand sweating in my car anymore
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

BTW-

GM Expansion valve (95-97), pn 52477944
Autozone sells accumulators...

You also need some misc o-rings and some compressor lubricant.

As I understand it, Autozone may be able to lend-a-tool the vacuum pump and manifold guages.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

will that expansion valve work with a '94?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like you have a leak in your system, thus the reason for bleeding the charge so quickly.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmq24
will that expansion valve work with a '94?
No there is a different p/n for that one... 52477944
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white ghost
Sounds to me like you have a leak in your system, thus the reason for bleeding the charge so quickly.
He says it is leaking from the compressor so I am guessing it is probably leaking at the interface between the hard line and the compressor itself. I want to say (from memory) that its held on there by a bolt and there are 2 o-rings. If you're going to bother with it though, might as well do it right, IMO. (Replace compressor, accumulator, o-rings, vacuum it out, fill, etc.)
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Teching In

No there is a different p/n for that one... 52477944
awesome man, youve been a big help!

and yes i do believe it is between the compressor and the hardline, from where the drips are located, i am getting a whole new system put in one way or another
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

He says it is leaking from the compressor so I am guessing it is probably leaking at the interface between the hard line and the compressor itself. I want to say (from memory) that its held on there by a bolt and there are 2 o-rings. If you're going to bother with it though, might as well do it right, IMO. (Replace compressor, accumulator, o-rings, vacuum it out, fill, etc.)
Haha. Completely missed the leaking part he stated. Its been a long week, so.......just call me captain obvious. Lol.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Teching In

ha its cool, i welcome any help even if its somethin i already know, having it confirmed by other people is fine haha

Quick Reply: AC compressor issue