LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New engine, can't step on the gas pedal more than 1/4 without it almost dieing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine, can't step on the gas pedal more than 1/4 without it almost dieing.

This is a new engine that starts up and idles fine and I can rev it all I want in park. But when I actually go drive it on the street I can't press the gas pedal down more than a 1/4th of the way without the car almost dieing. It has never completely died but at the same time I let off the pedal as soon as it tries to die.

I have hooked a fuel pressure gauge to see if it drops when I press on the pedal and it doesn't. So I don't know if I'm losing spark for some reason when I'm driving compared to just sitting in park. Or could a couple of my fuel injectors be acting up? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Backfiring at all?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Backfiring at all?
No backfiring. But again as soon as it tries to die I let off the pedal immediately. Not sure if it will backfire if I was to not let off so quickly.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Vaccum leak maybe? have you checked for it?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check fuel pressure at the rail.
Possibly a bad regulator or fuel pump, clogged filter....
Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlpz
Vaccum leak maybe? have you checked for it?
No I haven't but I will. Do you know what the readings should be?

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Check fuel pressure at the rail.
Possibly a bad regulator or fuel pump, clogged filter....
I have already checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It is good.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I checked vacuum and it is bouncing between 9-11. I have a pretty big cam and am only running an alternator with no other accessories. Do those numbers mean I have a vacuum leak? If so could this cause my car to almost die everytime I try to accelerate?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you check it running, under a load? Just cause you have pressure does not mean you have volume.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

do you have cats?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you check it running, under a load? Just cause you have pressure does not mean you have volume.
I'll check that tomorrow. Any idea where the vacuum should generally be under load.

Originally Posted by boostedlt1
do you have cats?
No cats.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I was meaning your fuel pressure personally vacuum means nothing in this instance. Hope you have over 40-44 psi constantly. Mine stays at 43/44
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was meaning your fuel pressure personally vacuum means nothing in this instance. Hope you have over 40-44 psi constantly. Mine stays at 43/44
Yes my fuel pressure is good both at idle and when I drive it on the street.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If your fuel pressure is rock solid, if your valvetrain is adjusted properly, if your plug wires are routed correctly, if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt your timing chain was lined up correctly upon install and if you know your rotor screws in your opti are tight then I would say the next thing to explore is the tune.
The easy part is this problem is either fuel or timing. The challenging part is finding out which aspect of either is causing the problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If your fuel pressure is rock solid, if your valvetrain is adjusted properly, if your plug wires are routed correctly, if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt your timing chain was lined up correctly upon install and if you know your rotor screws in your opti are tight then I would say the next thing to explore is the tune.
The easy part is this problem is either fuel or timing. The challenging part is finding out which aspect of either is causing the problem.
Ok my Air/Fuel ratio is fine at idle but when I try to accelerate it quickly leans out to 19.0 and higher. If I have a vacuum leak could it cause it to lean out that much? Or is there any sensor that could possibly be going bad but not bringing up a code? Now I do have some codes but they are all explainable and I don't think they are causing the problem.

Here are the codes. I meant to tell the tuner to delete these out.
P0335 & P0336. The crankshaft position sensor is no longer in use since I took the reluctor ring out. I decided to use a double timing chain.
P0443. I got rid of my EVAP. Was there something else I may have missed doing when removing this?
P1810 I went from a six speed to a turbo 350 Transmission. So this shouldn't affect anything.

Also I hope my engine builder did not install my timing chain incorrectly. He has been doing this for 30 years. But I will check eventually just trying to check the easy stuff first.

Also I have trouble thinking it is the tuning I used one person for a mail order tune and thought maybe they screwed it up and then tried another person and this same problem is occuring from both mail order tuners.

Again thanks for all the help and continuing help.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well since you have checked your fuel and it seems to be ok..mark that out..sensors that can cause a lean cond. are either you MAF, O2 sensors, your pcm going bad..or like I said before a vaccum leak there are a sea of hoses on the car..a slight tear or deterioated hose can cause excess air going into your engine causing a lean cond..I was working on a car that had similar sypthoms and it was a intake leak undetectable becuase it was small but it was there changed the gasket and is working ok..no codes..Not saying this is what you have but check the other parts first..A can of break cleaner can come in handing finding leaks..

Quick Reply: New engine, can't step on the gas pedal more than 1/4 without it almost dieing.