LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

I just got done putting my car back together, I replaced valve seals, rocker arms, oil pan gasket, oil pump, and intake manifold. Everything is running fine, but is pissing oil everywhere at the back of the engine. Is it possible for the rear main seal or oil pan to leak onto the flywheel and get slung to the top of the engine? Or am I looking at the oil pressure sender leaking, or intake leaking again?

It only leaks bad when the rpms are higher, I was trying to figure out where it was leaking from when I had it on the lift and cleaned everything off and let if run for a little while, couldn't see it leaking, but then drove it for a half mile and looked again, and found oil everywhere again. Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably the intake manifold. Feel all across the joint on the rear. You may need to wipe it first,then run it. Possibly the sender,but I would bet the IM gasket.

Last edited by 3 pedal SS; 07-07-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although the intake manifold/block interface is the usual culprit, because the heat from the EGR tube "cooks" the RTV, the OP sender also has been known to leak also. Along with that, yes, the rear main could be leaking, and yes, the flywheel/flexplate could be throwing oil around.

Last year, in a desperate effort to get my LT1 to stop dripping oil, I replaced EVERY gasket/seal except the head gaskets. It was a LOT of work, obviously, but it's been leak free for the past year....for the first time in a long time.

Quick Reply: Oil leak