LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project Reaper 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Project Reaper 2.0

Well, figured I would throw this up here to document my recent build I am doing.

The Car...
1996 Z28 previously owned by Jason, owner of Z28.com

I purchsed the car as a roller, drove down from Chitown to Louisiana to pick up the car. Threw my old set up in it and drove it for the rest of last season.

Tore out the engine last August to build up a little 396 or technically a 398.

Took the engine to Clayton Racing who built my last set up.

Specs of the engine as follows,

LT1 bored .040
Zero decked
Splayed billet 4 bolt mains
Forged 3.875 Scat crank
Compstar 6 in h beams
CP custom Bullet line pistons
All ARP hardware
SFI balancer and hub

Heads,
Started life as LE3 units. Worked over by Jerry Clayton and have 8mm valves at 2.02/1.60.. ports cleaned up for higher velocity
Springs, LPE (PAC) dual springs rated to .630 lift
pushrods, engine pro (smith brothers)
Rockers, comp 1.6 promags
Custom Valve covers being fabricated

Cam,
Bauer custom grind 248/248 .609/.609 108 LSA solid billet core

intake,
stocker internally hogged out and port matched to heads.

T.B is a AS&M unit

Headers, Pacesetter... will be swapped out to a custom set of Lemons.

Twin Walbro 255 fuel pumps

Nitrous, plate kit set up for a 250 shot.

Mods to the car....

AC evap coil deleted and blanked off, still retain heat and operation of flap
ABS delete with Line lock and bias control.
Custom swtch panel for nitrous, line lock and manual fan control in compartment under radio.
Mounted NGK AFX wideband in defrost control location
Piller pod with FP and n20 guage
Wire tuck under hood
Filled in location of fuel lines
Smoothed overlap welds on strut towers
Ceramic coated engine bay
Speed Inc. relocated fuel line kit

Body...
HOK BC25 black paint
Freedom design spoiler
debadged and demolded

Brakes...
Baer big brakes and braided lines

Suspension..
PA racing tubular K member
Spohn upper and lower tubular front a arms
Spohn chassis mount torque arm
UMI tubular subframe connectors
UMI tubular rear lower control arms
UMI on car adjustable panhard
Bilstein coil overs all 4 corners

Transmission...
Viper spec T56
Mcleod SFI bellhousing
Ram HD clutch and billet flywheel

Wheels, tires,
Currently TT2, 17x11 and 17X9 wrapped in Nitto DR in the rear and Nittos in front. Front wheel offset allows for the edge to be flush with fenders.

Items still to get...
Dana S60 rear end
Cage, still undecided
Seats redone to allow harness to pass through, and redone in white and houndstooth.
Battery relocation kit and emergency shut off
Billet catch can, power steering tank, and oil catch can set up

Hoping to get the engine in the car within the next few weeks and be able to drive it. Might not get the cage and rear in the car this season will have to see how it goes.

I am hoping to see bottom tens in the car and just street drive it and enjoy it, take it to some shows etc. The car was just bought and built to be a toy and have some fun. Figure I will enjoy it for a season or two and then do the build I intended to do in the first place, a F1R procharged LSX.

Thats about it. I will post up some pics of the build as it goes together and parts I have purchased. Im. sure I have forgot to list stuff

Any input or suggestions let me know. I am always willing to talk shop.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, weren't you the one looking for handouts for parts for your kids car???

With all the money you have to spend on that thing, how dare you ask for handouts for your kid???

Seriously, making it sound like the kid needs help, sounds like the father was being a little greedy for himself...

Hopefully everyone that helped you out sees your post on this and gets pissed...

Sorry, just can't stand people acting like they need help when they are just greedy.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What the hell are you talking about? One, nothing I ever asked for was free.... I did however turn down parts that were way over priced....

Second, the kid built his car on HIS budget.... not dad handed him stuff...
Here let me explain it for you, 19 year old kid buys dads old roller off him. Kid works hard, buys his own parts, dad lends support to his son with instruction on how to build the car. Son puts his own blood sweat and tears into his dream car HE is building on HIS budget. Why you may ask I did that... So the kid respects the car and doesnt beat the crap out of it. Would be a cool thing to get a call that your oldest son was out screwing around in a car and wrapped it around a tree. By me doing that FOR HIM, he has a ton or respect for the car. In fact, a truck threw a rock at it and he flipped out and went to go get estimates to repair the chip in the paint.

You don't know me. To say what you said was uncalled for. Those that do know me, know that I am the first person to lend a hand or give away free parts to those in need. Classic examble, just the other day, a member on here who I never even met before, had an issue with his car. I contacted him, drove all the way to look at his car. Never even a second thought to go do it. He even offered me gas money for coming which I turned down. Turned out he has a rod knock. I am going to pull his engine out, got him a deal on a engine rebuild and will be delivering the engine to the shop.

I have built at least 10 cars for free for people in need.

Dont come on here and act as though you know who i am or what I stand for. Ask around on the boards what I do... Maybe then you can throw an apology my way for an idiotic comment like you just made.

Oh, and since you think I spent all the money, most of my parts aquired were from trade. Example, my engine work and internals was in trade for a third gen mint roller.

Thank you for throwing **** in my thread.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

315 35 17's. Just bumpstops removed.

Thanks for the compliment!

Engine bay has paint that has ceramic in it to keep the heat down.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpack
What the hell are you talking about? One, nothing I ever asked for was free.... I did however turn down parts that were way over priced....

Second, the kid built his car on HIS budget.... not dad handed him stuff...
Here let me explain it for you, 19 year old kid buys dads old roller off him. Kid works hard, buys his own parts, dad lends support to his son with instruction on how to build the car. Son puts his own blood sweat and tears into his dream car HE is building on HIS budget. Why you may ask I did that... So the kid respects the car and doesnt beat the crap out of it. Would be a cool thing to get a call that your oldest son was out screwing around in a car and wrapped it around a tree. By me doing that FOR HIM, he has a ton or respect for the car. In fact, a truck threw a rock at it and he flipped out and went to go get estimates to repair the chip in the paint.

You don't know me. To say what you said was uncalled for. Those that do know me, know that I am the first person to lend a hand or give away free parts to those in need. Classic examble, just the other day, a member on here who I never even met before, had an issue with his car. I contacted him, drove all the way to look at his car. Never even a second thought to go do it. He even offered me gas money for coming which I turned down. Turned out he has a rod knock. I am going to pull his engine out, got him a deal on a engine rebuild and will be delivering the engine to the shop.

I have built at least 10 cars for free for people in need.

Dont come on here and act as though you know who i am or what I stand for. Ask around on the boards what I do... Maybe then you can throw an apology my way for an idiotic comment like you just made.

Oh, and since you think I spent all the money, most of my parts aquired were from trade. Example, my engine work and internals was in trade for a third gen mint roller.

Thank you for throwing **** in my thread.
My dad does the SAME exact thing. He hasn't put a dime into my car but will help me on things if he sees me screwing up. I'm also 19 with probably the lowest budget possible. Not sure why the Jerkoff would say something like that. I seen the thread where you went off to help someone on the forums and that truly awesome. Its cool to see im not the only kid here that pays for EVERY single part that goes into his car and isn't sucking off their parents.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Why are you guys removing bump stops for only a 315 tire? My rear fender arch is 25.5" and I have my bump stops.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to see guys your age doing it yourself. Me, I'm just an old guy that never grew up. Doubt I ever will. I actually enjoy going out and helping guys get problems fixed or are in over their heads. I have had camaros and trans Ams for over 25 years. These fourth gens I can prey much look at a bolt and tell you where it goes. I have learned the hard and expensive ways of what works in them and what doesn't. I have met a lot of great guys and have a lot of contacts. Awhile back in fact my engine builder was working directly with dart to manufacturer a big cube ltx block. One of my blocks was sent to dart for all the r&d work. Well even after dart made the huge announcement that it was a go and all looked good, they scrapped the project.

Other things I do, tuned more cars than I care to count. I do fourth gen t top conversions. I fabricate my own parts when needed.... and I think outside the box. With that though comes lots of questions about results I have had since I didn't follow a cookie cutter build like most do. All that know me and my cars personally can tell the whole story. I make things happen one way or another. I'm sure as people who know me or I have helped over the years see this thread, will post up. I don't post much in here usually because of all the bs that goes on.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Why are you guys removing bump stops for only a 315 tire? My rear fender arch is 25.5" and I have my bump stops.
Mine are removed due to interference of the rim, not the tire.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm bc 315 is the width? your talking height... i have 315/35/19 on the rear of mine some BIG meat
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

He came to look at my car and I did offer him gas money and he turned it down , he is very helpful and is going to help me remove my engine and bring it to Clayton racing to get it done and probably got me a better deal on pricing for the engine. I do not know about any of you but there is not many people like Jim or Jpack left around just to come meet a stranger off the internet and to offer help uninstall the engine and bring it.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 97badass
ummm bc 315 is the width? your talking height... i have 315/35/19 on the rear of mine some BIG meat
I Have 315s out back too, completely tucked

Whats the height of you fender arch in the rear?

Edit: got pics, ive been wanting to step up to some 19" C6 Z wheels.

Last edited by whytryz28; 07-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will also stand up for his name.

Sounded like some over zealous douchebaggery to me........jealous much?

As for the car, you know I can't wait for it to get done. It started out nice, and has transformed into art. Vroom Vroom!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Hmmm, weren't you the one looking for handouts for parts for your kids car???

With all the money you have to spend on that thing, how dare you ask for handouts for your kid???

Seriously, making it sound like the kid needs help, sounds like the father was being a little greedy for himself...

Hopefully everyone that helped you out sees your post on this and gets pissed...

Sorry, just can't stand people acting like they need help when they are just greedy.
Dude are you on drugs? Jim didnt hand his son his car. He gave him the roller of his car and his son put the motor in it that he bought with his own money and on his budget and put it in that car. Jim is such a cool dude and very knowledgable about these cars. Don't come on here and give him **** and he has never asked for handouts from his son. Where the hell did you get that from?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I also can vouch for the kind of person he is. Jim, less talk and more work. Get that car done.Lol
Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

If would like to talk **** about someone Jim should be the last person on your list to do it to.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Lol, Jim's the man. Can't count how many times he has helped me out. Known him for going on 5 years now, first person to offer a helping hand to anyone within driving distance. I wouldn't even want to touch a car as a roller and do it ground up but this guy must put at least 2 together a year for people within a week if the parts are there for the cost of some beer and keeping good company. **** he even aligned body panels on a car that was wrecked twice.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't see it so sorry if it's in here but what rims/ offset are those tires? I want some 315's on my camaro eventually. Was thinking of 17X11 with 51mm offset, sound right?

Btw way awesome car!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
I didn't see it so sorry if it's in here but what rims/ offset are those tires? I want some 315's on my camaro eventually. Was thinking of 17X11 with 51mm offset, sound right?

Btw way awesome car!
I don't remember the offset off hand. Wheels are TT2's.The Rears are 17x11 and fronts are either 9 or 9 1/2. I know on my sons car the wheels I have on there are oem true gransport vettes wheels. The offset on the rear I believe are 50mm. Tires on my car, Rears are 315/35/17 nitto NT555R extreme drag radial and the fronts are 275/40/17 nitto NT555 extreme ZR.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jim if I were you I would be upset at Chris. I can't stop staring at his sig pic lmao...what car
Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM
8 Second Club

Can you show me a picture of your lower a-arms?

Quick Reply: Project Reaper 2.0