LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone done the C5 front brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone done the C5 front brake upgrade?

Have any of you guys dont this upgrade?

i am looking to do it because the stock LT1 brakes SUCK!

how much of a difference did they make?
And is there a cheaper option that will give me the same results? Cause the kit is 819.00.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Huge difference, definitely one of the best mods I did. I would get the trackbrackets which are a lot beefier than the UMI ones and actually engineered, then look for someone on corvette forum who upgraded his brakes and buy his old stuff. I sold my old brackets to SSRRR and I think he bought all the brakes/hardware/pads for around $250.

Link for the brackets

http://www.lmperformance.com/18663/1.html
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its a great mod and a great thing to have if you start making your car any faster. I bought everything used and total I was in my kit for about $450-500
Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Night and day difference. Far more practical than doing the LS1 f-body swap. It's just as fun stopping as it is going.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

what do you guys think of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...Q5fAccessories

Seems like a good deal for all four calipers dont you think?

i know i will need the conversion brackets but what els will i need to mount them?

and what will it take to get the rears on?

thanks again guys
Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
what do you guys think of these?

Seems like a good deal for all four calipers dont you think?

i know i will need the conversion brackets but what els will i need to mount them?

and what will it take to get the rears on?

thanks again guys
I dont think the rears will work. Just order a full kit with EVERYTHING you need for the swap from www.umiperformance.com or www.bmrsuspension.com

Last edited by SoxXpupPeT; 07-10-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the reason i dont just order a kit from one of those websites is because everyone is telling me i can do it cheaper than the 820.00 they want.

and they also have just the fronts for 259.99

And i know i will need Rotors and brackets. i will order the brackets from the link provided by speed demon. And i was looking at getting R1 concepts rotors. There only 96.00 a piece.

but what hardware will i need to install them?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you go with some drilled and slotted. i just went slotted and there was a good difference.. but i have driven one with d/s and it was soooo much better.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
Well the reason i dont just order a kit from one of those websites is because everyone is telling me i can do it cheaper than the 820.00 they want.

and they also have just the fronts for 259.99

And i know i will need Rotors and brackets. i will order the brackets from the link provided by speed demon. And i was looking at getting R1 concepts rotors. There only 96.00 a piece.

but what hardware will i need to install them?
I pieced mine together for less then theres aswell but its nice to just order a kit for a tiny bit more and have less headachs.. If your going to piece it together i highly suggest you talk to mr sam strano (www.stranoparts.com) hell be able to tell you which rotors and pads will work best for your driving style.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You can also check the F/S forums on corvetteforums. There's usually a handful of people selling C5 calipers.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

oreillys?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You can find the complete kit for $733 at WS6store.com. And they come with blank (not drilled or slotted) rotors, which perform better. Great guys over there and they ship quickly also.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...onversion-kit/
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use the dual piston f-body calipers in place of the more expensive Corvette calipers. The only difference between the two is how they are cast (gravity vs. pressure cast).

I'm looking into the swap as well and seems like you could save a good chunk of money by going this route.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
make sure you go with some drilled and slotted. i just went slotted and there was a good difference.. but i have driven one with d/s and it was soooo much better.
I am sure this has been covered extensively in the Brakes forum, but drilled/slotted rotors are purely appearance only on modern brake pads. In fact they can hurt your braking performance.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use the dual piston f-body calipers in place of the more expensive Corvette calipers. The only difference between the two is how they are cast (gravity vs. pressure cast).

I'm looking into the swap as well and seems like you could save a good chunk of money by going this route.
This is true, but also at issue is rotor diameter. Which is going to make a lot more difference than the castings...
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I am sure this has been covered extensively in the Brakes forum, but drilled/slotted rotors are purely appearance only on modern brake pads. In fact they can hurt your braking performance.
Correct! People in the know use blanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Someone want to explain for me why blanks are better then d/s rotors?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

This is nothing new and has been discussed/explained many times.

Years ago, friction material (what’s in the pads) wasn’t as advanced as today. The adhesives and binders in the mix would out-gas when heated. This was causing a layer of gasses between the pads and rotors which would cause reduced braking action, often called fade.

Drilling holes in the rotors gave the gasses a path to escape.

One problem with this is cracked rotors. The holes cause stress risers and with thermal cycles, cracks start at the holes. Chamfering the holes or casting the rotors with holes like Porsche does/did does little to help.

Another disadvantage is that brake rotors absorb and dissipate heat through their mass (weight) and surface swept area. Drilling rotors reduces their weight and surface swept area. Even if you never really heat up your rotors, drilled rotors do not have the braking performance of blank rotors. Look at it this way: Drilled rotors is kind of like having a smaller rotor.

Slotted rotors were developed for a different reason. Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos pads often glazed over. The slots scraped them clean. Their disadvantage is they wear the pads quickly. The disadvantage here is reduced pad life. Asbestos is no longer used in brake pads. Slotted rotors do nothing to enhance braking performance.

Pad out-gassing and asbestos pads are a thing of the past. The fix for them is no longer needed.

Drilled or slotted rotors do have one advantage: They look cool (to some people). If you must have that look do so but don’t kid yourself that they perform better than blanks. They do not.

More in-depth (longer & more technical) reading can be found here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspe...ml#post2691366

Last edited by Paul Bell; 07-11-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks man. Haven't been around as long as most of you guys (I'm 18) so that was complete news to me.

I was a bit quick to respond to this whereas an easier option for all of us would have been me using the search bar on the googles. Thanks for taking the time for a good lesson learned by me though.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul Bell -

Well stated.

No opinion, just the facts!

Quick Reply: Anyone done the C5 front brake upgrade?