LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So it looks like my old LPE CAI was as good as a lid dyno rusults inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default So it looks like my old LPE CAI was as good as a lid dyno rusults inside

After the dyno today. And it looks like my duals were worth quite a bit of power over the 2otl Baseline was 408rwhp, added a degree of timing and 412rwhp, another 1.5 degrees and it hit 418rwhp. It still wanted more timing but it was starting to detonate from sucking in oil through the pcv system. The back bumper was covered in oil droplets after the dyno. It made those #'s with 32-33 degrees of timing IIRC.

Only changes were going from true duals to a 2otl and going from an lpe cai to lid setup. The duals lost me power on different dyno's back when I was making 375rwhp through a hooker catback and never gained me anything at the track so who knows.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 07-13-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im really confused as to what setup was dynoed here and what the brfore numbers were.

Im guessing you put on a 2otl and lost power but am confused about the before/after of the lid
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

430rwhp with true duals and cai, 418 with lid, 2otl. I had my tuner compare the logs and the MAP readings pretty much mirrored each other between the lid and cai which is what I saw on the scanmaster too.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO the only benefit from a lid setup on a 350 would be from any "ram air" effect at the track.

I always questioned the benefit of lids on stock cube cars, but people are so adamant about defending their mods I try not to make a big deal about it. Personally, I think the huge claims of 20hp+ in the 1/4 are bullshit.

I pulled my K&N FIPK CAI off of my throttle body during a dyno run when my tuner was chasing a dip in the graph and only made under 2rwhp more. Car was a mild H/C build. Stock cube engines just don't need that much air. How can a lid improve over an open TB unless its building boost? .

It may be a worthwhile mod on a high rpm stroker, but even a H/C stock cube build won't benefit much.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

So why didn't you disconnect the PCV and run that turd again?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
IMO the only benefit from a lid setup on a 350 would be from any "ram air" effect at the track.

I always questioned the benefit of lids on stock cube cars, but people are so adamant about defending their mods I try not to make a big deal about it. Personally, I think the huge claims of 20hp+ in the 1/4 are bullshit.

I pulled my K&N FIPK CAI off of my throttle body during a dyno run when my tuner was chasing a dip in the graph and only made under 2rwhp more. Car was a mild H/C build. Stock cube engines just don't need that much air. How can a lid improve over an open TB unless its building boost? .

It may be a worthwhile mod on a high rpm stroker, but even a H/C stock cube build won't benefit much.
I wish I knew this before... I would have went with an SS hood instead.

Oh well at least I cleaned up the engine bay. I might try to see if i can rig up some kind of ram air through the fog light openings since I'm running 1le grills there, but it looks like the bumper support is in the way.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So why didn't you disconnect the PCV and run that turd again?
Because the intake manifold and runners were still coated in oil. I'm just gonna ditch the pcv all together and run a couple of breathers.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Village Troll

Nothing a little brake clean would've of fixed! ****...
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I plan on running a lid setup, but with the chris1313 ram air kit for some true ram air.

That has proven track gains with back-to-back testing.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
I plan on running a lid setup, but with the chris1313 ram air kit for some true ram air.

That has proven track gains with back-to-back testing.
I'm just going to run the SLP thing since mine is a daily and I'm in florida with daily monsoons. I'm going to to some water column testing on it to to see if it does anything.

Just ditched the pcv system and put a couple breathers on to see if it coats the engine bay with oil or not. I might run the breathers + catch can if it mists too bad.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 07-13-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Just ditched the pcv system and put a couple breathers on to see if it coats the engine bay with oil or not. I might run the breathers + catch can if it mists too bad.
Hate to tell you this, but all you are doing is masking a problem. If oil is getting into the cylinders enough for detonation there is a definite bad situation going on in your engine. If the oil is indeed coming from your PCV then your engine bay will be coated with oil guaranteed. I would suggest getting a leakdown done to see what is going on, dear boy. I won't say you are seriously down on power since your baseline was done on a different dyno, but you need to figure this out stat.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Hate to tell you this, but all you are doing is masking a problem. If oil is getting into the cylinders enough for detonation there is a definite bad situation going on in your engine. If the oil is indeed coming from your PCV then your engine bay will be coated with oil guaranteed. I would suggest getting a leakdown done to see what is going on, dear boy. I won't say you are seriously down on power since your baseline was done on a different dyno, but you need to figure this out stat.
My tuner recommends doing this to mild bolt-on ls1's too. I'm pushing near double the power on a stock 124k mile shortblock so I'm sure the stock pcv system wasn't designed to handle those needs. Then again you would think oil sucked in would burn through the exhaust not leave droplets on the bumper
Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Village Troll

All I'm sayin' is you may have excessive blow by from either the top or bottom or both ends and you should really find out wharz before spending money on a tune.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'm just going to run the SLP thing since mine is a daily and I'm in florida with daily monsoons. I'm going to to some water column testing on it to to see if it does anything.

My stock shotblock is getting whooped. I ditched the pcv and went with 2 breathers. It doesn't coat the engine with oil at all like people make it out to be. Every time I wash the car I pop the hood and there is a little trickle of oil dripping from the bottom of each breather. A quick little wipe and it's all good.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good breather trick i learned on boosted vehicles for breathers will work well for N/A motors as well. Ya'll remember the old wrist sweat bands??? Well take a couple of black ones and wrap them around the breathers. If/when they get full of oil just pull them off and wash them. They keep the oil from leaking onto the VC's and engine bay. Just a FYI...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
A good breather trick i learned on boosted vehicles for breathers will work well for N/A motors as well. Ya'll remember the old wrist sweat bands??? Well take a couple of black ones and wrap them around the breathers. If/when they get full of oil just pull them off and wash them. They keep the oil from leaking onto the VC's and engine bay. Just a FYI...
My buddy speedmiser would do that, got the ones old people wear for tennis.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

I still stand by the thread title, but lid + SLP CAI >>> LPE Cai. From 2nd gear alone the MAP is reading a solid 1" of hg higher, 3rd and 4th are no comparison, almost 2" higher.

Quick Reply: So it looks like my old LPE CAI was as good as a lid dyno rusults inside