LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch chatter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch chatter!!!

ok so i blew my old clutch springs right out of my clutch. Dunno how that would happen but the retainer that holds the springs in just broke right off. So i put a spec stage 2 clutch in. Resurfaced the flywheel bolted it up to the crank, stuck a mag base indicator on there and had someone turn the crank. Runs out about .0015-.002''. Tranny slides right in no problem into the new pilot bushing. I have some clutch chatter. After 500 miles a little of it went away but i have been taking it very easy. I have a new tranny mount and its still chattering and im starting to get worried. I dont understand why its doing this. The motor mounts seem to move a little but i looks normal with rubber mounts. Would it help to put in solid mounts?It only chatters on take off and when im sitting still in neutral i can feel my hydrolic clutch pedal moving a very little bit. (little pulsing)if i take off on a hill its fine and feels great! on level ground at about 1250 rpm its good. at 1000 it chatters sometime like hell!!!! any other tips or advice on my problems would be appreciated!! Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Should just be new clutch break-in. Did you for sure get the PP and flywheel flush against each other while bolting it up? This was a persons problem recently and also a problem I had to deal with. That would cause vibration all over the place though. If yours is very minor then it could make excessive clutch chatter. But to me it just sounds like its being broken in.
Stronger clutches will have more chatter, if you have a near stock car you might just not be used to it.
I personally would give it another 500 miles to see how it does.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Teching In

ok that makes me feel a little better. the stage 2 clutch is rated at about 600-650 ftlb of torque. Is that over doing it for a car that is a little more than stock?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

I have just about 1000 miles on my stg 2 from spec. It still chatters, But significantly less.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Unless your making big numbers (100+ ft lbs or more torque then stock) that clutch may be just a bit overkill, but by all means will not hurt anything and will give you more room for modifications in the future.
Seeing what that clutch is rated for I'm pretty damn sure that it's safe to say your just experiencing chatter from your stronger clutch, some will go away, some will stay.

My Zoom HP is rated for 450 ft lbs of torque if I'm not mistaking. It chattered a bit for the first 700 or so miles. Now it chatters just a small bit if I'm taking off real slow.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Teching In

i noticed when its cold its bad and not so bad when it warms up. And when u guys who have chatter just rest your foot on the clutch does it pulse a little? Its just really starting to bother me that i spent all this money and i feel like im going to wreck something from the chatter, or burn my clutch from taking off at 1600 rmp. So if im correct here, does chatter mean that when the clutch is just starting to touch its trying to grab, not slipping at all? bc if my flywheel or pressure plate was not machined right, i would feel that all the time?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Teching In

o ya and another thing, trying to slip the clutch just so it doesnt chatter makes it look like i cant drive a standard lol. Car is very loud so i wake up half the town leaving for work in the morning. Cant take it anymore!!! haha
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Just a little up date for you guys, After 2000 miles, my spec stg 2 is toast. Broken Throwout bearing, the pressure plate was hitting the arm, and I was having lots of disengagement issues. Either way, Not happy with spec.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

my centerforce dual friction worked really well for me. held the blower and didnt chatter.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came stock with a spec 2 when I bought it. Put 25k on it and let a friend borrow the car, he seemed to think slipping the clutch under throttle was fun. Put an old style spec 3 on and drove it another 20k before the stock motor snapped a wrist pin. I have a spec 3 on my current motor. It definitely is nothing like stock. I don't like to slip them much. They don't seem to like it.

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter!!!