LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 TA options

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 TA options

I own a 97 trans am w/lt1 bought it with main bearing damaged due to excessive nitrous, got a good deal on car anyways. Was planning on going strictly race car with a carberated motor but think I have decided to make it my weekend warrior/occasional track car. Looking to get high to mid 12's with the car being it will only be used for these occasions. Maybe later will have the budget to do more.

Being that the main bearings are bad and the motor will need a rebuild anyways would my best route be to purchase another lt1 built already or pay to have someone rebuild this one? Tranny was also bad so I no longer have it, I will need to purchase another as well.

Another point I should add is that i previously purchased a carberated motor and tranny for racing just on a college budget so never got the shop I had it at to install also have a 9 inch rear end being rebuilt for it as well. Only down fall to other motor is that it is high powered (mid 10's in previous car) and tranny is powerglide. could just continue with this motor and just replace the tranny.

This will be a toy/long project just wondering what you guys/gals opinions were
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

You best bet is to get the engine rebuilt with the correct parts for nitrous use, or else your just going to ask for the same issue to happen again.

And If your going the nitrous route you should probably keep fuel injection on it as well.

If your not going nitrous i still say get the engine rebuilt with good parts. If you own an engine that has gone 10's then i shouldnt have said anything you dont already know.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I understand what u mean I actually wasnt the nitrous user the previous owner was. I think my best route would be to go with my motor I purchased I was just pondering maybe putting an lt1 back in it.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy my car instead.

/plug

I would look into having your current motor built by a local reputable builder. A good cam-only + bolt-on setup will run mid 12s all day, pending you use quality parts and use a good tuner.

And I might as well say it before gregrob does - the motor didn't blow from too much nitrous.

Quick Reply: 97 TA options