LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Putting correct mileage after cluster/body harness swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Putting correct mileage after cluster/body harness swap?

I searched and didn't find the exact answer I was looking for, and I want to be absolutely sure on this one. I am currently swapping the entire body/dash harness and gauge cluster from a 97 Trans Am into a 99 Firebird (don't ask why). The Firebird was originally a V6 (120 mph speedo) with over 170k miles, and the T/A (150 mph speedo, digital odometer) had much less than that.

So my question is, where exactly is the mileage stored on these vehicles? Is it in the BCM, gauge cluster, or the odometer itself? I want it to stilll say 170k miles when I'm done with it, so it's legit. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am certain that there is no programmable way to change the mileage on a digital dashboard. I researched this thoroughly back in the day for a friends' project but came up empty-handed.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of points to make here...

1) First, any modification of a speedometer, I am pretty sure is illegal. That being said, you are trying to keep it legit which is laudable as I don't think most people would follow your footsteps. To keep it legal, I would definitely consult your state DMV/BMV/RMV website.

2) To go forward, I am certain, must be possible. Dependent on what part physically holds the information for the odometer, obviously has been replaced as a result of your swap. I am sure the same part has failed at some point in its lifetime in someone else's vehicle. The dealer service department must have had a way to replace and update the odometer to reflect the same mileage as the old odometer. Since all parts used by the dealer were new, the initial value must have been 0 thus going forward is all they would have to do. Consider that BCM, Gauge Clusters and the like are all car parts that can fail.

3) To do it on your own, I would say find a way to generate pulses for your speedometer via the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) circuit. I would say use this as a last resort thought because I truly don't think that this is legal and until you know otherwise I wouldn't even consider it an option.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i did some research on this as well, there is no legit way to do this yourself that I know. You would have to get other 'official' parties involved and i'm not even sure who that would be.

odometer tampering was a big deal in the 80s/90s such that laws were written in many states to make sure dealers/people don't get taken advantage of. technically the chassis (99) should keep the 170k mileage to keep it legal.

you know the 99+ clusters are different and won't work with 93-97 electronics? if you are doing a completely wiring swap from the 97, then you'll need a 150mph console from a 93-97 with 170k miles to get 'close'
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently back in the day I didn't research well enough.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done but not by yourself. You need access to GM online. We do this at work when we have to replace clusters in vehicles. And you also need a certain attatchment to plug into the OBD2 port.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to change an odometer is at the dealer itself and there pretty stricked with how its done since it can effect a warrenty claim. Most of the time we get them from a manufacture with the milage you need pre programmed but I have also programmed them as well. Very unlikly you will be able to.change it. Your better off looking for a cluster with the milage you want already on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that sucks. It still doesn't answer the question where the odometer reading is stored. If GM is going to do it, they're going to need proof of the original mileage. And the original interior has been torn out already. This might be a bigger headache than I originally thought.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it's in the cluster.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

After a bunch of calls, I found a place in CA that says they can roll it forward for me (legally ). I just mail them the cluster, and they take care of it. So I'll give them a shot, and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its always in the cluster, that's why when you swap the cluster they don't jump forward or backwards. If there rolling it forward its ok. Backwards is where the problems are.

Quick Reply: Putting correct mileage after cluster/body harness swap?