LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil pump priming tool won't fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump priming tool won't fit

Hi all (again)

After getting the oil pan pan on and verifying the clearance on my modified dipstick tube (for 4-bolt splayed mains), I went ahead and started priming the motor.

I am using a Generic (OEM brand) SBC priming tool (with a sleeve) to prime my oil pump. the tool slides down the hole in the block and meets with the oil pump drive shaft, but it appears that the sleeve on the tool (the one that seals up the big opening to provide oil pressure to both sides of the motor) is bottoming out on the cam gear and not allowing the spline on the tool to fully seat on the notch on the oil pump drive shaft. When i run the drill on the tool, it keeps jumping out of the notch on the oil pump drive shaft (since its not fully seated in there).

Is it just the tool I am using? I noticed that most use the proform tool. I just want to confirm before I go buying another tool. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i just use an old sbc dizzy with the guts and gear removed and i put my cordless drill right on the shaft and spin it...............it was free and it works like a champ lol
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

i had the same problem with it not fitting so i just took my factory oil pump driveshaft/coupler and put it in my cordless drill, worked perfect.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

I bet you go through a few batteries on those cordless drills. I just primed my motor last week and had to spin it for 20+ minutes before the last rocker had oil. My uncle has a primer tool on a corded drill. I know he didn't buy it....pretty sure he made it from an old sbc distributor.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Are you talking about the bushing or the piece that is higher than the bushing?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Are you talking about the bushing or the piece that is higher than the bushing?
the bushing...i know the piece higher than the bushing is meant for the hole on the intake where the dizzy goes, which we dont have on LT1s

The picture you show has a beveled bushing. Mine is just straight. Here is a pic of the tool I am using

Old 09-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Village Troll

I take it the bushing is fixed? Remove it if you can. It will work fine. I used a right angle drill. Depending on the size of the drill you may have to cut the shaft down in order for it all to fit under the cowl.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBlackZee
the bushing...i know the piece higher than the bushing is meant for the hole on the intake where the dizzy goes, which we dont have on LT1s

The picture you show has a beveled bushing. Mine is just straight. Here is a pic of the tool I am using

Mine looks like that and worked fine. If the bushing is removed, you won't get any pressure.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Village Troll

Yep. My mistake. It's the top piece that I removed because I had to make the shaft shorter for the drill I was using. Here's mine:

Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yep. My mistake. It's the top piece that I removed because I had to make the shaft shorter for the drill I was using. Here's mine:

So, that's the cowl mod for the priming tool?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Problem solved! Turns out the spline at the bottom of the tool was just a tad wide and didn't fully slide into the notch on the oilp pump drive shaft. Ground it down a hair and works perfectly now!

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Oil pump priming tool won't fit