LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's it worth?

Hey guys i need some input on what i can sell my 383 LT1 shortblock for.

It is at a shop now getting put back together with all new bearings and piston rings. block will be rehoned and the crank got micro polished.

Enginne
383 4 bolt main block
FORGED eagle crank
FORGED eagle 6in I beam rods
Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons
All new bearings and new piston rings

crank,pistons,and rods have 500 miles on them. had everything checked out beforehand to make sure they were in good condition.

what should i be able to ask for this shortblock?

Thanks guys
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2500
Old 09-09-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

No way is it worth $2500...

You are missing forged pistons to claim it is a forged bottom end, so, at most it is worth maybe $800-1200...

If anyone is serious they will replace the pistons with forged ones, have the assembly rebalanced and go through everything all over again...

Sorry, fact of the matter is, virtually no-one can "trust" someone elses work... If it was reassembled and runnable with forged pistons, then it would be worth maybe $1200-1400 or thereabouts, $1600 on the high-end if all the parts have receipts with all the right stuff used (ARP fasteners, good forged pistons, quality rings and bearings, etc)...

Honestly, a full build like that with hypereutectic pistons is HIGHLY questionable... No-one would use those in a built bottom end like that... Sounds more like the engine builder had some extra laying around and sold someone on them.

On top of that you don't mention if they are aftermarket caps on the middle three, or stock... if stock then it is on the low end...
Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Opinions are like ********^^^ everyone has one, so heres mine.
I'd say $1600-1700 on the low quick cash sale especially with documents ... Machining balancing and bearings alone for the 383 is $1000, forged eagle crank $600, forged I-beams $300 .. And just because the pistons aren't forged doesn't = garbage ... Especially Keith black slugs... Then there are the rings cost, four bolt mains aren't easy to come by and machining the block to make it 4bolt is about $500 .. I've just been thru this all and I have the receipts to back it up , only difference is I have forged pistons and h-beams and have around $2,500 in mine.

Last edited by defaultexistence; 09-09-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Yeah, 1500-1900 will be what you could get for it imo. Id pay 1500 for it if I had the cash right now.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
No way is it worth $2500...

You are missing forged pistons to claim it is a forged bottom end, so, at most it is worth maybe $800-1200...
WTF you smoking cheech? The crankshaft alone is $600....so the grand (or more) in machining, cam, rods, pistons, rings, oil pump, lifters, block, bearings,ect. ect. is supposed to add up to less than $1200 You sir are retarded. I wish somebody would sell me $1200 forged LT1
Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

For what it's worth...I paid $2100 for this shortblock recently; it does have forged pistons however. I feel it was a decent price.

93 LT1 block, fully machined (Block cleaned, magnafluxed, bored with deck plate, splayed caps installed, line bored/honed, core plugs installed, Durabond cam bearings installed, clean up milled with around .005 removed, stroker clearanced)

Eagle Billet Splayed Caps w/ ARP Studs/Bolts
Ohio 4340 Forged Crankshaft
Ohio 4340 H-Beam 5.7 Rods w/ ARP 2000 Bolts
Keith Black Forged Pistons with +6.4cc Valve Reliefs
Perfect Circle Plasma-Moly Rings
Clevite TM77 Rod and Main Bearings
SFI Approved Professional Products Balancer
SFI Approved TCI Flexplate
Rotating Assembly Fully Balanced (Have Memo with all the weights, it was faxed to me from the company as I lost the original sheet)
Melling M155HV Oil Pump w/ Milodon Pump Bracket, hardened drive shaft, ARP Pump Stud
Moroso 7qt Kicked out Zinc Finish Pan with Matching bolt-on pick-up
LS7 Lifters
New (Comp Cams iirc) Replacement Lifter Spider and Anti-Rotation Link Bars
Herron Billet Aluminum Oil Pump Drive w/ factory gear
Lunati Cam
Lunati Billet True Roller Single-Row Timing Set (For Gen 1 Opti Design)
All Fasteners are ARP (Including the oil pan), except the ones for the lifter spider and the oil pump drive hold down bolt.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Fact of the matter is if you buy something assembled you have NO IDEA if the parts stated are really in there...

Sorry, you guys don't like to hear it, but you are foolish to pay more than $1200 or so for that shortblock... Go ahead, blow your cash on something that is already sub-standard...

And 4-bolt blocks are plentiful... Like I asked originally, if it is a machined 4-bolt block (ie, started out as a 2-bolt) and has billet caps, then you can get more for it...

For reference I spent well over $2500 on my latest shortblock this year... Lunati Crank, Machined Billet Forged I-Beam rods 5.85", King Bearings, ARP hardware throughout, 4-bolt conversion w/billet caps, etc, etc, etc...

Sorry if you guys don't like hearing the facts, but a $600 crank that is used is worth $300... Same with the rods, pistons, etc...

Used parts are used parts... You can't get a premium price for used stuff unless it is rare and wanted... None of which any of this is...

And, for reference, I sold a complete, RUNNING (ie, didn't need to be rebuilt because something bad happened to it) 383 with Eagle crank, rods, forged pistons, etc for $800... And sorry, the whole "freshened up" BS never flys with me, as in what really happened? ie, people don't spend hundreds of dollars to freshen up something to sell, they spend hundreds of dollars redoing something that went wrong and look to make a buck selling off the problem because they no longer have confidence in it or moved in another direction due to the "problem" that required the tear-down in the first place... Again, common sense here folks...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

1500 for quick cash. 1800-1900 to sit on it for a while. 2000 if you can prove what is in it.