LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Keep or Sell my Firebird (Opinions Wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep or Sell my Firebird (Opinions Wanted)

So after about 500 miles my Firebird is down what I think is a blown head gasket. Normally this would not bug me but the car has gone a total of 683 miles since February of 2009. Since then its blown a set of head gaskets on the original engine, blew the original engine and the rebuild. Also the bearings in the T-56 went along with the clutch. Now its sitting here dead again and I am out of cash and completely tired of fixing and fixing it more only to blow up again. I would just park it again but my Daily Driver Honda is seeing light at the end of the tunnel. With 185k I doubt it would make it to 190k with out needing some other major repair(The 5 speed trans more than shot).

So I am in the need of a new car. Option 1 is wait the two weeks till the garage is clear and tear down the Firebird one more time and hope its just the head gaskets on the 87k junk yard short block. However that plan has to make the Crx last another month or so which is a hit or miss. If that works that would be great then sell the crx to some teenager.

Option 2 which I have been pondering is sell the crx and go buy another newer car but I am having a hard time wanting to buy anything newer as its all junk. However I could get something new with a warrntey and drive it around. I am in college and I can get a loan by myself for 8k with a 3k down payment. This would keep the bird around but with a new car payment I doubt I would be able to spare the cash to fix it anytime soon.

Option 3 would be to sell my Firebird. May take some time since I would need $2500 tho I would want $3000. However it will be hard to get that since the car has a blown head gasket. I did just drop $1200 in the Trans and another $600 in the clutch and Hydraulics. That on top with a hot cam and supporting mods. I could also sell my ram air box and hood that has been sitting in the bedroom for 2 years. Also sell the C5 corvette rims. Total I see something around $3500. That plus the Crx would give me should give me $5000. Would give me a good down payment on a newer car but again there is not much new I would buy in the 15k range.

So out off all the options what would you guys do. The Firebird has a ton of money in it and I have been disappointed in the mod choices I made two years ago. Mainly the hot cam/exhaust. Its stuff that could change down the road. So if you were in my shoes what would you do. I will add that my Honda has ate $600 in parts in the last 3 months and that its been on the road for only 3 months as I rebuilt most of the car but now everything else is falling apart. If you were to sell one or both of the cars what would you go buy? Any other ideas would be nice. My budget on a new car is $250 tops as I am in college and only make $800 a month while going to school.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Sell both cars. Fix the firebird first. Then sell it.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd hold out and fix the bird, you already have a ton of money in it. It should be a monster once it's running right.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your rough on cars lol
Old 09-11-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

I don't want to be that guy, but I think you need a good, reliable, daily driver more than anything.

I'd follow LSWHO's advice to get the cash together-- and then buy something you like that's new enough to not give you problems.

You've got all the time in the world to throw a toy together and race it, just always make sure you've got a reliable, fun to drive, daily car to fall back on.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel for you man. College student, little cash to spare and want to stay in the game. Sounds like you really need a realible dd more than a weekend car. Whatever you do i hope you have good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I guess I should say the honda is around because the Firebird blew up. It was my dd and weekend fun car once in a while. I really want it back as a dd but it looks like it wont happen. Sucks since right after my car died my brother got a 95 z28. Our cars have only cruzed twice. And both times mine has blown up. Its sucked cause its nice having two f-bodys sitting right next to each other in the driveway. I may just sell the honda. I have test drove a few newer cars. All the ones with drive by wire seem to have like a half second delay in the throttle. Much different than good old throttle cables. Keep the opinions coming. Any ideas on some newer cars worth buying. Stick shift is a must.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've always just fixed mine when they broke. It avoids a car payment and is cheaper in the long run, usually.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blue85350
I've always just fixed mine when they broke. It avoids a car payment and is cheaper in the long run, usually.
+1 I've never had a car payment and don't want one! You'll save a little $ on insurance when you sell the Honda.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say this because i have been i your shoes . I have sold 2 birds when life insisted on my full attention .i know what it is like and how if feels to have dropped so much cash not to have reliable transportation, and to not be able to focus on anything else for being so frustrated . So with much respect, Part out the bird . the t-56 alone will give u a good down payment on something with a warranty or at least unmodded and a good reliable history. sell the other turd. Focus on school not broke cars or girls . There will always be another of both.
Mike
Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I am split on getting a car payment. The Honda has to go since its just awful garbage. Parting the car out would bring more money but I really hate to see a clean car go out in pieces. Plus where the car is now I can't have it sit there with parts missing. It could in the garage but that would want me to fix it even more if I started tearing it apart. After some good thought I may just go for selling the Honda and buying a newer 10k car. Easy enough to do if I can find something newer that is not complete garbage. Guess its buy here pay here places to hunt for a newer car.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont like working on cars sell the cars and get a good newer car.

Me I'm a glutton for punishment as I've had a 4th gen for 19 years.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it feels like 19 years anyway...lol. I bought my first one in 93.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS Sick
If you dont like working on cars sell the cars and get a good newer car.

Me I'm a glutton for punishment as I've had a 4th gen for 19 years.
Don't get me wrong. I love working on cars. I hate having to fix a car every couple days just to keep it on the road. My crx is like that and east more money every month than a new car payment. When a car does that its time to scrap it.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats where you have to draw the line. My 97 I have now I just went through everything. I sold my 93 in 2003 and bought this 97 WS6 used because I wanted a ram air car, it had not been taken good care of and I immediately had to start replacing things peice by peice. I now have the driveline and electronics all taken care of and low and behold the clear coat starts peeling....lol. Oh well I do love my car.

Here is a video of it, notice the clear coming off the rear qtrs...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UdSVXcNB8

Quick Reply: Keep or Sell my Firebird (Opinions Wanted)